Collage.com’s mission is to make custom products easy for everyone, by creating fantastic software and providing excellent customer service. Collage.com is a 100% employee-owned, profitable, bootstrapped company with about 50 employees that has rapidly grown from $4 to $38 million in annual revenue since 2013. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. Collage.com has appeared more than a dozen times on ABC’s “Good Morning America” and three times on “The View.” We’ve also appeared multiple times on the “TODAY Show,” along with mentions in BuzzFeed, Mashable, AARP: The Magazine, the Associated Press, and more. We are seeking ambitious, nice individuals to join us in our quest to bring great custom products to the world. Learn more about working at Collage.com.
We’re 100% remote
Collage.com is a 100% remote company, with employees working together in states across the country. Last year, our remote work culture was profiled in a case study by the Harvard Business School (we are the first all-remote company they profiled). The entire company meets together in person twice a year (all expenses paid) to get to know each other and work on strategy. Learn more in an op-ed our co-founder Kevin Borders wrote for MLive.com.
We are seeking a lead engineer who is passionate about reliability and believes in advance planning to stop fires before they start, which is critical for our seasonal business. As the first site reliability engineer at Collage.com, you will help define our strategy across the whole stack -- from AWS configuration up to the front-end application. You will establish processes and systems to help engineers test for reliability and performance, as well as live monitoring tools to detect problems in production.
We have a variety of monitoring systems already in place, but are looking for someone to push the envelope for detecting problems with Collage.com. We hope to find an engineer who not only keeps up with industry best practices, but can also develop custom tools to solve our hardest problems, like recording and replaying state changes in our custom application to track down difficult bugs. We look forward to you joining us in our mission to make our software fast and bug-free for everyone, all the time.
- Lead Collage.com’s site reliability and performance strategy/roadmap.
- Own live monitoring systems across the entire software stack -- maintaining existing tools (e.g., CloudWatch, NewRelic, TrackJS, OpsGenie) and implementing new systems.
- Lead advance planning to prepare our services for handling 10x seasonal traffic (setting scaling policies, provisioning resources, doing load testing, etc.)
- Manage processes and automated stability/performance checks that the team uses to develop fast, reliable software.
- Triage and respond to alarms from our monitoring systems with the help of other engineers, and participate in an on call rotation during the holiday season.
- Five years of experience developing modern web applications
- Two years of experience focused on site reliability for high-traffic applications
- Excellent planning and communication skills, including the use of spreadsheets/database queries to analyze and present data
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent work experience
- Prior experience in a start-up environment is nice to have.
Benefits and Perks
- Working from home makes it easier to focus on results and develop professionally while spending less time commuting. (See our opinion piece on perks and work-life balance at mlive.com.)
- 401(k) plan, home internet reimbursement, and $3,000 / year in free Collage.com products plus employee discount for friends and family.
- Collage.com pays 100% of the premium for full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for you and your family in a high-quality Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan.
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy (work hard and take time when you need it).
- We’ll pay for computer and home office equipment (within reason) that will help you work better.