Collage.com’s mission is to make the creation of custom products easy for everyone, by providing superior software and excellent customer service. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. Our company has been featured on the TODAY Show, The View, and Good Morning America many times. We are a 100% employee-owned company that has rapidly grown to 60 employees and $50M annual revenue since 2013.
We are 100% Remote
As a 100% remote company, we are set up to provide the best possible environment for engineering. The less time developers spend dealing with cumbersome processes, inefficient systems, and commuting, the more time they have to solve problems and make an impact. Collage.com’s co-founders/co-CEOs both come from a technical background and believe in staying at the forefront of best practices so that we can focus on work that matters. We pass almost all of The Joel Test (we only fix high-priority bugs before writing new code, but hey, we’re a start-up), use continuous deployment (code goes straight to production after each merge), and are in the process of adopting mobx-state-tree with React. Strong engineering is a key part of our business strategy -- it lets us build best-in-class design tools faster than our larger competitors.
We are seeking an ambitious and nice senior front-end engineer who shares our passion for building a great software company. This is a unique opportunity to have a major impact on our engineering team’s growth (we are about ten strong right now) by helping us continually raise the bar. You will be expected to collaborate with other engineers to solve complex technical problems and push us to deliver higher quality code at an ever-increasing rate. We firmly believe in the power of solid architecture, code design, and simplicity over brute force, which is why we do our best to hire 10x senior engineers. If you are seeking an environment where you get to do meaningful work with other great engineers, then we want to hear from you.
- Make decisions about code design, architecture, and refactoring to balance technical debt against delivering functionality.
- Plan and lead testing for complex projects.
- Review code and mentor other engineers.
- Provide time estimates and participate in agile development.
- Review specifications and work with PMs to implement lean methodology.
- Practical experience with MV* architecture (such as Backbone, Vue, React + Redux/Mobx, etc.), unidirectional data flow, and minimal class/object interfaces
- Spatial/geometric reasoning ability -- for rendering, animation, and image manipulation
- Ability to quickly understand and work with unfamiliar complex code
- Pro-active and clear communication is essential for this remote work position
Benefits and Perks
- Working from home makes it easier to focus on results and develop professionally while spending less time commuting. (See our opinion piece on perks and work-life balance at mlive.com.)
- 401(k) plan, home internet reimbursement, and $3,000 / year in free Collage.com products plus employee discount for friends and family.
- Collage.com pays 100% of the premium for full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for you and your family in a high-quality Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan.
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy (work hard and take time when you need it).
- We’ll pay for any computer and home office equipment (within reason) that will help you work better.
The Interview Process
The goal of our interview process is to identify people who will be a good fit for our company and are talented, ambitious engineers. Because you will be working remotely, all of our interviews are done remotely. We look for candidates with good written and verbal communication skills who embody our company values (which can be found on our careers page).
During the interview process, you will:
- Speak to a member of our talent acquisition team which will be mostly an experience and values/culture fit assessment
- Speak with a Senior/Lead engineer
- Complete a more complex technical challenge that is intended to emulate your actual work environment
- Speak with our VP of engineering and both founders/CEOs of the company
We believe in transparency, and will give you the opportunity to speak with anyone else you’d like to meet before accepting an offer. You are making an important decision, and we want to make sure you are fully committed to joining our team.