Collage.com’s mission is to make custom products easy for everyone, by creating fantastic software and providing excellent customer service. Collage.com is a 100% employee-owned, profitable, bootstrapped company with about 50 employees that has rapidly grown from $4 to $38 million in annual revenue since 2013. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. Collage.com has appeared more than a dozen times on ABC’s “Good Morning America” and three times on “The View.” We’ve also appeared multiple times on the “TODAY Show,” along with mentions in BuzzFeed, Mashable, AARP: The Magazine, the Associated Press, and more. We are seeking ambitious, nice individuals to join us in our quest to bring great custom products to the world. Learn more about working at Collage.com.
We’re 100% remote
Collage.com is a 100% remote company, with employees working together in states across the country. Last year, our remote work culture was profiled in a case study by the Harvard Business School (we are the first all-remote company they profiled). The entire company meets together in person twice a year (all expenses paid) to get to know each other and work on strategy. Learn more in an op-ed our co-founder Kevin Borders wrote for MLive.com.
We are seeking an ambitious and nice lead software engineer who shares our passion for building a great software company. This is a unique opportunity to have a major impact on our engineering team’s growth (we are about ten strong right now) by helping us continually raise the bar. You will be expected to collaborate with other engineers to solve complex technical problems and push us to deliver higher quality code at an ever-increasing rate. We firmly believe in the power of solid architecture, code design, and simplicity over brute force, which is why we do our best to hire 10x senior engineers. If you are seeking an environment where you get to do meaningful work with other great engineers, then we want to hear from you.
- Make decisions about code design, architecture, and refactoring to balance technical debt against delivering functionality.
- Plan and lead testing for complex projects.
- Review code and mentor other engineers.
- Provide time estimates and participate in agile development.
- Review specifications and work with PMs to implement lean methodology.
- 8+ years professional application development experience
- 2+ years experience leading a team
- Practical experience with MV* architecture (such as Backbone, Vue, React + Redux/Mobx, etc.), unidirectional data flow, and minimal class/object interfaces
- Spatial/geometric reasoning ability -- for rendering, animation, and image manipulation
- Ability to quickly understand and work with unfamiliar complex code
- Pro-active and clear communication is essential for this remote work position
- Degree in Computer Science
Benefits and Perks
- Working from home makes it easier to focus on results and develop professionally while spending less time commuting. (See our opinion piece on perks and work-life balance at mlive.com.)
- 401(k) plan, home internet reimbursement, and $3,000 / year in free Collage.com products plus employee discount for friends and family.
- Collage.com pays 100% of the premium for full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for you and your family in a high-quality Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan.
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy (work hard and take time when you need it).
- We’ll pay for any computer and home office equipment (within reason) that will help you work better.
The Interview Process
The goal of our interview process is to identify people who will be a good fit for our company and are talented, ambitious engineers. Because you will be working remotely, all of our interviews are done over the phone in close succession to move through the process quickly. We look for candidates with good written and verbal communication skills.
During the interview process, you will talk to other engineers, your future manager, a product manager, and both founders/CEOs of the company. We believe in transparency, and will give you the opportunity to speak with anyone else you’d like to meet before accepting an offer. You are making an important decision, and we want to make sure you are fully committed to joining our team.