Who We Are at Cold Start
Cold Start is a venture building studio working to bring visionary ideas to reality. We provide companies with the resources and experience needed to solve today’s most complex challenges. Our portfolio has generated >1.2 bn in enterprise value in less than 24 months. We go beyond capital by combining the right resources, tools and talent at every stage of an incubation. We made it more likely than ever to create a successful new venture.
- Build with Ambition: We work quickly to create the future faster.
- Lead with Integrity: We do what is right, and our principles come first.
- Innovate to Transform: We tackle the challenges of today to reimagine tomorrow.
- Collaborate through Community: We believe the boldest ideas can only be tackled together.
- Learn from Failure: We are resilient and believe opportunity comes from taking risks.
- Grow from Ambiguity: We embrace the unknown to create something from nothing.
About The Role
Cold Start is hiring a Director of Compliance to join our team. The Director of Compliance will join the rapidly growing Legal and Compliance team and have ownership over various corporate and commercial compliance matters at Cold Start’s studio and portfolio companies. The successful candidate will work with the General Counsel to build risk-mitigation and compliance strategy for both the Cold Start studio and our portfolio companies. This is a unique role that requires close cross-functional engagement, including with our new ventures, finance, HR and operations teams. To succeed in this role, you must have broad knowledge of federal and state healthcare regulations, be proactive and eager to build from the ground up, be able to communicate compliance issues and priorities to business colleagues, and effectively implement operational guidelines and processes.
What You’ll Do
- For both the studio and our portfolio companies - develop, implement and maintain compliance programs, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Ensure these policies and procedures are implemented into day to day business operations.
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant state and federal regulations and policies.
- Work closely with business colleagues to provide input on compliance aspects of new business incubations
- With respect to portfolio companies, develop and implement risk assessment and monitoring programs, conduct audits to assess regulatory compliance with company policies, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Implement, supervise and promote compliance for employees with appropriate policies and procedures such as investigation and resolution of compliance inquiries, reports, complaints, and grievances.
- Work closely with Legal and PeopleOps teams to develop and implement compliance training to company personnel and appropriate communications.
- Collaborate with the Legal team to respond to requests made by state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Manage outside compliance consultants and, on occasion where needed, legal counsel
- Provide regular compliance reports on the operation, efficacy, and progress of compliance efforts, violations, and risks.
- BA/BS degree [Master’s or Law degree preferred]
- 6-8 year experience working within a comprehensive healthcare compliance program
- Deep knowledge around privacy laws and state and federal healthcare regulations such as Fraud and Abuse statutes, Stark laws, privacy, consumer protection, telemedicine, payor arrangements and health provider/pharmacy laws.
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) designation preferred
- Experience working for fast-growth technology companies (or their investors) is a plus
- Experience around operations and budgeting, including leveraging project management and budgeting software, compliance software and other tools and technology.
- Flexibility to adjust to rapidly changing environments and priorities.
- Eagerness to learn new things across various highly-regulated and fragmented industries and markets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills, especially in a remote-first environment.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
Cold Start is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We celebrate diversity and welcome applicants from every background and life experience.