As a headlines editor/monitor, you will be the front line of CoinDesk’s news operations, charged with sifting through a steady stream of content (blogs, media, press releases, websites, filings, central bank statements, tweets, etc.) and identifying important developments in the cryptocurrency space.
Upon spotting potential news, you will alert the assignment editor and/or the appropriate team. When the technology is ready to do so, you may also decide to send a link to the item and possibly a timely accurate flash headline, should the identified news item reach that level of importance.
You will also be responsible for the maintenance of the newsroom’s shared scraping tool that is used to surface potentially newsworthy items, adding or subtracting sources as needed, as well as maintaining the Twitter feed for the same reason.
Your mission: to ensure CoinDesk readers are fully up to date whenever and wherever something happens in the cryptocurrency industry and that all content is accurate, punctual and written in CoinDesk style.
You plan well for the things that can be anticipated and react quickly to the things that can’t.
- Monitor and eventually headline from crypto and crypto-adjacent sources, including but not limited to: regulatory and court filings, calendars, on-chain data, news outlets, blogs, websites, social media, online forums and other information sources.
- Inform the assignment desk/news teams of potential breaking news.
- Advise senior editors on what works and what doesn’t when it comes to news assignments to help them hone a more efficient system across the newsroom.
- Proactively keep in touch with teams asking to be informed of any upcoming events; if they fail to, you need to remind them to do so in the future.
- Develop an insatiable appetite and thirst for knowledge of all things crypto to continually hone your judgment/improve your knowledge base.
- Keep up on CoinDesk copy.
- Learn who the movers and shakers are in the space and add/subtract their Twitter accounts from Tweetdeck as needed.
- Keep track of misses, autopsy and adjust feed, adding sources accordingly.
- Send headlines on scoops or market moves on behalf of teams.
- Pay attention to global macroeconomic trends in the regions, as well as crypto-adjacent areas, to be able to anticipate effects on the cryptocurrency sector.
- Monitor and occasionally headline from conference calls, CoinDesk events, etc. Train others to do the same. (Note: if you’re monitoring a call, you will not be expected to also monitor the feed.)
- Flag upcoming events to help maintain a calendar of upcoming events. Analyze coverage misses to ensure they don’t happen again.
The ideal candidate has at least five years of journalism experience and experience monitoring and/or sending flash headlines. Experience with the crypto sector or equities markets strongly preferred. You are a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity, a nose for news, and a can-do/collaborative attitude, who can both scan and write clear, concise, accurate headlines on tight deadlines.
Ideal location in Asia within Hong Kong/Singapore time zone. Shift would begin at either 9 am or 10 am HK time.
Please note that only a member of CoinDesk’s Talent Acquisition team will reach out to you directly from an @coindesk.com or @coindesk-indices.com email in regards to any and all opportunities at CoinDesk. Disregard emails from any other addresses or persons. If you’re selected to move onto the next phase of our hiring process, a member of our team will reach out to guide you through our interview process. We look forward to connecting!
In an effort to attract, retain, develop and promote the most qualified individuals, CoinDesk is committed to treating all applicants and employees in a nondiscriminatory manner with respect to the terms and conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status/service, physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable law. This mandate governs all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, promotion, training, education, social and recreation programs, compensation, discipline, termination and access to benefits.
For more information on our DEI initiatives, please visit: https://www.coindesk.com/dei/.
CoinDesk is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request.
COVID-19 vaccination is required for all employees whose position is based out of the NYC office. However, CoinDesk will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons on a case by case basis.