CoinDesk is an integrated media platform for the next generation of investing, exploring how cryptocurrencies and digital assets are contributing to the evolution of the global financial system and the future of money. Our vision is to inform, educate and connect communities through news, data, events and research.
CoinDesk is a fast-growing company with incredible ambition. Our global presence has grown exponentially through top quality journalism and events, creating a community of millions of users. We’d love for you to join us if you’re willing to take on new challenges and immerse yourself in a world of creative, forward-thinking individuals.
For two days of your week, your mission will be to take ownership of weekend coverage and ensure CoinDesk readers are fully up to date when something breaks in the cryptocurrency or adjacent industries. Crypto markets run 24/7, as does the news cycle. So it’s vital that we have eagle-eyed coverage over weekends. With that as your mandate, you will be responsible for monitoring, assigning, editing and often writing the news that breaks and making sure all that content is accurate, punctual and written in the CoinDesk style.
You could be dealing with a market story one minute, editing a scoop the next, and summarizing a story from another media outlet the minute after that, all while keeping track of incoming press releases, spotting key facts in a central bank statement, and shepherding an embargoed news story on the side. What we’re looking for is a news hound, traffic cop, writer and editor all combined in one person who plays well with others, communicates clearly, and hates to lose.
You will also make sure you’re prepared for any expected events, having reached out to all CoinDesk reporters and editors prior to the weekend to find out what’s coming and arranging for story templates to be written as needed.
While eventually the goal will be to provide you with a reporter on the weekend, initially most of the time you will be flying solo.
The other three days of your week will be spent as an editor, pitching in wherever the editing needs are greatest.
- Assign and frequently write breaking news and embargoed articles.
- Scan regulatory and court filings, calendars, the market, on-chain data, news outlets, blogs, websites, social media, online forums and other information sources for story leads, assigning or writing as appropriate.
- Pay attention to global macroeconomic trends in the regions as well as crypto-adjacent areas to be able to anticipate effects on the cryptocurrency sector.
- Learn to edit and write concise, sophisticated breaking news pieces with a voice. The pieces will not only explain what happened but tell the reader why it matters and how it fits in with the big picture.
- Address social media tasks, posting items on major platforms.
- When appropriate, be able to assign and edit stories in narrative form.
- Edit and sometimes co-write market updates, working hand-in-glove with market teams in other regions.
- Spot, assign and upon occasion write about market moves.
- Liaise with the beat desks to ensure comprehensive news coverage.
- Focus on finding actionable trends to make our content as valuable to readers as possible.
- Maintain a calendar of upcoming events. Analyze coverage misses to ensure they don’t happen again.
- Keep track of current relevant happenings and arrange for consistent coverage of them.
The ideal candidate is based in Europe and has at least five years of journalism experience along with strong familiarity with cryptocurrency and related technologies. Experience covering crypto and/or equities markets is strongly preferred. You are a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity, a nose for news, and a can-do/collaborative attitude who can both edit and write clear, concise copy on tight deadlines. You can adapt immediately to shifting priorities and are highly conscientious. And you plan well for the things that can be anticipated and react quickly to the things that can’t.
In an effort to attract, retain, develop and promote the most qualified individuals, CoinDesk is committed to treating all applicants and employees in a nondiscriminatory manner with respect to the terms and conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status/service, physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable law. This mandate governs all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, promotion, training, education, social and recreation programs, compensation, discipline, termination and access to benefits.
For more information on our DEI initiatives, please visit: https://www.coindesk.com/dei/.
CoinDesk is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request.
COVID-19 vaccination is required for all employees whose position is based out of the NYC office. However, CoinDesk will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons on a case by case basis.