CoinDesk is an integrated media platform for the next generation of investing, exploring how cryptocurrencies and digital assets are contributing to the evolution of the global financial system and the future of money. Our vision is to inform, educate and connect communities through news, data, events and research.
CoinDesk is a quickly growing company with incredible ambition. Our global presence has grown exponentially through top quality journalism and events, creating a community for millions of users. We’d love for you to join us if you’re willing to take on new challenges and immerse yourself in a world of creative, forward-thinking individuals.
As a news editor, you will be a player/coach on the CoinDesk Companies team who will be instrumental in getting market-moving news on the site as quickly and accurately as possible as well as engaging long-form stories. . You will be paired with the Managing Editor, Companies in this task. While they will be the air-traffic controller on the desk – assigning stories that distinguish CoinDesk from the pack – you will work closely with reporters to make sure stories are conveyed as strongly as possible. You must be familiar with the necessities of strong “nut graf'', conveying to the reader why this story matters, and how.
Your mission: to ensure CoinDesk readers are fully up to date whenever and wherever something happens in the cryptocurrency industry, and that all content is accurate, punctual and written in CoinDesk style.
You could be dealing with an earnings story one minute, a scoop the next, and spotting a key fact in an SEC filing the minute after that, all while shepherding a long-form feature on the side. A news hound, mentor, editor and writer all rolled into one person who plays well with others, communicates clearly, and hates to lose. A knack for social media conventions and copy is also a plus.
- Edit, and occasionally assign or write breaking news and embargoed articles.
- Give feedback to reporters in a constructive manner and help develop talent.
- Scan regulatory and court filings, calendars, the market, on-chain data, news outlets, blogs, websites, social media, online forums and other information sources for story leads, assigning or writing as appropriate.
- Stay abreast of crypto-related events to better inform your news judgment, decide what needs chasing or matching, and improve your ability to add context to stories and to anticipate coming developments.
- Pay attention to global macroeconomic trends as well as crypto-adjacent areas to be able to anticipate effects on the cryptocurrency sector.
- Learn to edit/write concise, sophisticated breaking news pieces with a voice. The pieces will not only explain what happened but tell the reader why it matters and how it fits in with the overall picture.
- Be able to get out quick first takes and update accordingly.
- When appropriate, be able to assign and edit stories in narrative form.
- Spot, assign and upon occasion write breaking news and/or market moves.
- Liaise with other desks to ensure comprehensive news coverage.
- Focus on finding actionable trends to make our content as valuable to readers as possible.
- Work with a team of reporters across various time zones some of whom won’t be in the same location as you. Mentor, develop and take care of them.
- Maintain a calendar of upcoming events. Help analyze coverage misses to ensure they don’t happen again.
The ideal candidate has at least five years of journalism experience and familiarity with cryptocurrency and related technologies. Experience covering crypto or equities markets is strongly preferred. You are a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity, a nose for news, and a can-do/collaborative attitude who can both edit and write clear, concise copy on tight deadlines. You plan well for the things that can be anticipated and react quickly to the things that can’t.
In an effort to attract, retain, develop and promote the most qualified individuals, CoinDesk is committed to treating all applicants and employees in a nondiscriminatory manner with respect to the terms and conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status/service, physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable law. This mandate governs all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, promotion, training, education, social and recreation programs, compensation, discipline, termination and access to benefits.
For more information on our DEI initiatives, please visit: https://www.coindesk.com/dei/.
CoinDesk is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request.
COVID-19 vaccination is required for all employees whose position is based out of the NYC office. However, CoinDesk will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons on a case by case basis.