The VP of Engineering will collaborate with various levels of stakeholders across multiple organizations to determine the company’s technical requirements and architecture and then lead the implementation of technical solutions. The right person will possess a combination of engineering experience and thought leadership to make the right technical decisions for CoinDesk to achieve business objectives. This role is a blend of providing technical leadership and personally contributing hands-on coding / engineering.
Reporting to the CoinDesk COO Ellie Hirschhorn.
Determine Technical Vision
Understand the current product vision as laid-out by the Executive Team, and utilize strong technical assets and knowledge to generate the tech that best serves the company’s immediate needs as well as 2-5 yr goals.
Leadership and Team Cultivation
In addition to technical knowledge and strategy, the VP of Engineering’s team management expertise, leadership and mentoring of teams will be of equal importance. This role is tasked to build and lead a team of skilled technologists. Recruiting, hiring, developing and growing a strong technology team will be key to the success of the hire. This person is both a department leader and an in-the-trenches contributor.
This person will be responsible for setting the culture and cadence of the engineering team, fostering a strong culture, increasing product velocity, and achieving schedule predictability as the company moves forward with their aggressive growth targets.
- Lead the evolution of CoinDesk’s product offering across the full application stack in collaboration with integration partners and tech leads.
- Manage trade-offs and prioritize engineering efforts based on time, cost, and quality by factoring in what the team and company is capable of doing well.
- Serve as the company’s foremost technical subject matter expert by maintaining knowledge of existing and emerging technologies.
- 8+ years of progressive engineering experience; 4+ years managing teams.
- Strong knowledge of Node.js and familiarity with Python.
- Extensive experience with SEO and online advertising.
- Recent experience with a media focused product that has scaled to a high volume of daily traffic.
- Proven impact at an established firm and demonstrated ability to establish best practices for an effective engineering culture.
- Experience with architecting and developing large scale, service-oriented systems, and optimizing for performance and quality.
- Technical ability to run code reviews, hire all levels of developers, and construct an engineering organization to scale effectively.
- Deep understanding of leading an engineering team through the software development life cycle and the evangelization and use of modern software development practices, with an emphasis on automation and reliability engineering.
- Experience optimizing CMS diligence, implementation and optimization.
- Strong understanding of key AWS infrastructure technologies.
- Ability to understand and translate requirements into technical solutions.
- Undergraduate degree is preferred; advanced degree is nice to have.
In an effort to attract, retain, develop and promote the most qualified individuals, CoinDesk is committed to treating all applicants and employees in a nondiscriminatory manner with respect to the terms and conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status/service, physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable law. This mandate governs all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, promotion, training, education, social and recreation programs, compensation, discipline, termination and access to benefits.
For more information on our DEI initiatives, please visit: https://www.coindesk.com/dei/.
CoinDesk is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request.
COVID-19 vaccination is required for all employees whose position is based out of the NYC office. However, CoinDesk will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons on a case by case basis.