Director, Activations & Experiences - Consensus
CoinDesk, the global leader in crypto and blockchain news, seeks a dynamic Director of Activations & Experiences for their Consensus Festival. This person will serve as both an externally and internally focused partner to create and maintain success across various projects, activations, and clients across the Festival. The Director will oversee all Consensus-led and Client-led activations that are outside of the Convention Center and the hotels, including temporary staffing assignments (project managers) and/or any agency or production partners that an activation may have.
In this role, the Director will be a liaison between the Events, Sales, Marketing, Content, Studios, and People teams to ensure that all projects maintain a threshold of brand integrity, revenue and operational excellence that CoinDesk is known for.
The Director will be the point of contact for major clients and internal teams to ensure successful relationships and activations, from advancement thru execution & post-event wrapup.
The Director will also oversee the hiring and management of all temporary staff that will be hired to project manage the activations and ensure success and KPI’s, as well as any production company or agency partners involved.
Additionally, we will look to the Director to brainstorm and strategize new opportunities for activations or experiences that fit within the overall Consensus scope, or new CoinDesk events domestically and internationally, and to manage internal and external resources to bring these opportunities to life.
As part of the core Consensus team the candidate will require fundamental skills including owning and managing team OKRs, being adept at time and project management, have creativity to dream up new opportunities for partners, be a natural networker and understand the business and revenue side of events and sponsorships.
This individual must be comfortable with a fast paced, high pressure environment and have a passion for creative experimentation. They should be experienced with managing activations, sponsorships, and the teams that make them go.
We understand that not all candidates possess every single attribute and requirement listed; we’re looking for a well-rounded candidate who isn’t afraid to learn new skills.
The Director reports to the General Manager of Consensus.
- Develop and manage core Consensus-led activations and experiences outside of the Austin Convention Center, including the NFT Gallery, DAO House, Talent Hub, Official Parties, Music performances and more.
- Manage and activate any sponsors involved in these spaces.
- Oversee temporary staffing and agency/production partners for core Consenus-led events or activations outside of the Convention Center, and inspire these teams to do their best work.
- Own multiple projects and activations from pre-sale to post-sale and ensure success as much as is in their control
- Track and help vet client-led activations outside of the core Consensus activations
- Be comfortable with managing client relationships and working with the sales team to ensure successful client experiences onsite.
- Own the P&L of specific activations to protect profitability
- Manage outside resources, vendors and freelance partners
- Identify potential partners and staff for outreach to help further the vision for Consensus
- Help measure and report success of the campaigns with our internal teams
- Maintain working knowledge of general brand activations, events, and sponsorship best practices
- Explore, research and develop ideas for new CoinDesk or Consensus events outside of the main Consensus event.
- 3-5 years of experience working in marketing and media, ideally at a digital media publisher
- Familiarity with financial and cryptocurrency news
- Impeccable writing and editing command and ability to build decks and proposals communicating creative ideas
- Proven success of owning and managing projects of all sizes
- Ability to think outside the box and drive opportunity through creative solutions with clients
- Thorough knowledge of event, sponsorships, content, media and marketing landscape
- Familiarity with off-site platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and other off-site platforms including TikTok, WhatsApp, Telegram, Reddit and Discord
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively, and have a proactive approach to executing deliverables
- Ability to handle short-term and long-term goals for various projects on deadline in a fast-paced, news-driven organization
- Ability to manage all aspects of a marketing project lifecycle
- Great communication skills, verbal and written
In an effort to attract, retain, develop and promote the most qualified individuals, CoinDesk is committed to treating all applicants and employees in a nondiscriminatory manner with respect to the terms and conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status/service, physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable law. This mandate governs all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, promotion, training, education, social and recreation programs, compensation, discipline, termination and access to benefits.
For more information on our DEI initiatives, please visit: https://www.coindesk.com/dei/.
CoinDesk is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request.
COVID-19 vaccination is required for all employees whose position is based out of the NYC office. However, CoinDesk will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons on a case by case basis.