CoinDesk is the most influential, trusted platform for a growing global community engaged in the transformation of the financial system and the emerging crypto economy. Founded in May 2013, the CoinDesk platform provides millions of consumers interested in cryptocurrency assets and blockchain technology with news and insights, podcasts, live streaming TV shows, research reports, live events, and a toolkit of indexes, data, and analytics. CoinDesk is a wholly owned subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, one of the largest private investors in the industry and a provider of trading and other investment services for that industry. CoinDesk operates entirely independently of the parent company. DCG has no involvement in editorial or content decisions. Twitter: @ CoinDesk
CoinDesk is seeking a reporter to cover blockchain and distributed ledger technology with a particular focus on Bitcoin and Ethereum.
We are looking to hire a candidate who has at least two years of news publishing experience as a reporter and possesses both a solid understanding of how various blockchain protocols and open-source software development work as well as an ability to communicate complex topics in simple, straightforward language. Story types will range from quick news hits to in-depth analysis pieces and profiles of influential figures.
The position will require a meticulous approach to reporting, strong news instincts and judgment, a commitment to accuracy, an eye for overarching themes and patterns, and above all a deep intellectual curiosity and a true passion for the subject matter.
- Conceive, report and write 2-3 articles per week on the technology beat with strong community engagement and long-term value
- Contribute additional short, “quick hit” pieces to a new CoinDesk news service of slimmed-down stories.
- Propose and contribute to a monthly thematic series of articles.
- Develop sources in the developer and tech communities through active engagement in the space.
- Collaborate with CoinDesk’s multimedia (podcast and video) and events teams to tell stories in innovative ways.
- Work with the editor and social media team to optimize and promote articles to reach a wider audience.
- A solid understanding of how various blockchain protocols and open-source software development work
- General hands-on experience with Bitcoin and/or Ethereum (ie: setting up wallets, transacting with cryptocurrencies, interacting with exchanges, running a node, using layer 2 and DeFi platforms etc)
- At least a rudimentary understanding of blockchain analysis and ability to pull blockchain-related data from various sources
- A nose for news and a commitment to utmost integrity in approach to sourcing and reporting stories
- Excellent written English skills and an eye for detail
- An ability to communicate complex concepts and topics in simple, straightforward language for a general audience
- Writing experience in the crypto space (blogs, newsletters, credible news sites)
- A background in journalism is preferred but not required
- A sense of urgency and the ability to turn copy around quickly when needed.