CoinDesk, the leading digital media company in the rapidly growing world of digital assets, aims to create an authoritative library of information around bitcoin, cryptocurrency and related topics with guidance on how to apply it to personal finance.
Cryptocurrency and digital assets are an entirely new, digitally native system for building personal wealth and savings. The current system leaves out too many people because it's confusing, lacks clear guidance on how to get started, and largely leaves it up to individuals to do their own research. CoinDesk’s Learn section will demystify crypto for anyone looking to educate themselves about this new asset class and how it’s disrupting global finance. Our Learn section aspires to be the most trusted on ramp for a mass consumer audience — the next generation of investing.
CoinDesk is seeking an ambitious and entrepreneurial senior editor to lead the growth of educational and evergreen content. The Learn Editor will oversee the development of articles, video and other content intended to educate and inform a broad spectrum of readers new to the world of cryptocurrency, working with both staff editors and freelance writers to attract the largest possible audience with best-in-class content experiences.
Command of cryptocurrency and finance is preferred, but more important is having innate curiosity about those topics as well as being able to put yourself in the mind of a neophyte reader, crafting content that is simultaneously authoritative and accessible. The ability to break complex topics into easy-to-understand chunks is a must.
The ideal candidate is a master of evergreen content strategy. Building a content plan around SEO and putting it into action is foundational to the job: maintaining current articles, producing a steady stream of new content, and ensuring everything is optimized for search. While the focus is on bitcoin, cryptocurrency, blockchain and decentralized systems, the vision is to also provide information and resources on topics adjacent to those topics as needed.
Working alongside CoinDesk’s product, audience and marketing teams, the Learn Editor will also help conceive and design new content types, driven by revenue models beyond traditional advertising.
The Learn Editor reports to the Executive Editor of Operations and Strategy.
- Strategically build and maintain content for CoinDesk’s Learn content, including evergreen and semi-evergreen informational articles, explainer videos and podcasts, and social content
- Ensure best practices for SEO are implemented throughout the process — from content strategy to site tools to individual articles
- Continually monitor search behavior to inform content strategy
- Work across departments — editorial, product, marketing, audience — to build and optimize website and CMS tools for the best experience and maximum audience
- Help develop new content arms (e.g. newsletters, reviews and online courses) within the Learn channel with specific audience goals and potential revenue streams
- Develop CoinDesk’s voice and style for Learn content
- Recruit and manage many freelance writers
- 5+ years of experience as an editorial leader in explanatory journalism, educational content, content marketing, or product reviews
- A combination of journalistic and marketing mindsets
- Thorough knowledge of SEO and how to incorporate it into content strategy
- Strong deference to using data to determine what readers want
- Ability to experiment with new formats while maintaining a high standard
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and freelancers
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Knowledge of cryptocurrency and bitcoin strongly preferred