CoinDesk is an integrated media platform for the next generation of investing, exploring how cryptocurrencies and digital assets are contributing to the evolution of the global financial system and the future of money. Our vision is to inform, educate and connect communities through news, data, events and research.
CoinDesk is a quickly growing company with incredible ambition. Our global presence has grown exponentially through top quality journalism and events, creating a community for millions of users. We’d love for you to join us if you’re willing to take on new challenges and immerse yourself in a world of creative, forward-thinking individuals.
CoinDesk seeks a managing editor to lead its coverage of the burgeoning entrepreneurial activity in the cryptocurrency and blockchain industry. It’s a beat that captures the “Wall Street moment,” covering the many non-crypto companies, both financial and non-financial, increasingly investing in digital assets and related services. Just as important, it covers the scrappy crypto startups – and their investors – developing innovative, decentralized products and services aimed at disrupting the existing, centralized economy. d. The successful candidate will expand CoinDesk’s global coverage in this area, and bolster its standing as the leader in crypto news.
As Managing Editor, you’ll lead and guide a team of reporters on how to unearth material nonpublic information ahead of the competition. You will work with reporters to land the latest scoop on which megabank is rolling out a bitcoin custody service; which fintech firm is next to deploy crypto trading; and which crypto startup is launching the “new new thing,” going public, or raising funds from the world’s top VCs.
This experienced editor will lead our coverage of the potential for and/or reality of a paradigm change facilitated by decentralized technologies.
In addition to leading and editing the team’s coverage, the managing editor will be expected to cultivate a strong network of sources and write stories as needed.They will have a solid background in financial journalism, including being able to read and decipher SEC filings, balance sheets and income statements. And they will be comfortable discussing business models, go-to-market strategies and shifting trends within the many industries affected by blockchain technology.
The Managing Editor will report to the Global News Editor and their team will be a key part of our spot news desk while also providing high-value, enterprise reporting.
- Lead a team responsible for the consistent coverage of and getting scoops on public companies in the crypto space.
- Arrange for consistent coverage of crypto-related happenings at public companies in the crypto-adjacent space.
- Be able to teach coverage of earnings, mergers, IPOs and other corporate happenings.
- Determine what is news and assign to the appropriate reporter.
- Edit stories for accuracy, clarity and context.
- Be able to move - and sometimes write - accurate first takes on wire-service-type deadlines and then go back and have them updated.
- Write engaging social media copy for each of your team’s published posts.
- Work with members of the CoinDesk multimedia team to host video- and/or podcast-based interviews with high-value subjects.
- Work with the events programming team to suggest programming and introduce speakers for CoinDesk events.
The ideal candidate is based on the U.S. east coast and has at least five years of journalism experience and familiarity with cryptocurrency and related technologies. Experience covering crypto strongly preferred but not required. You know how to lead a team, organize seamless beat coverage of public companies and teach reporters how to break news on them. You have substantial experience covering earnings, IPOs, M&A and know how to read income statements and balance sheets. You are a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity, a nose for news, and a can-do/collaborative attitude who can both edit and write clear, concise copy on tight deadlines. You plan well for the things that can be anticipated and react quickly to the things that can’t.