A big part of building successful companies is reaching the right audience. At Cogo Labs we build reliable, scalable, and customizable tool chains that allow our businesses to find and attract users who will become loyal customers. We are hiring a Software Engineer to contribute directly to critical growth initiatives and key systems that support our internal and external customers in our quest to build massive scale consumer internet companies. You'll work on cross-functional teams not only with different engineering disciplines, but from across the company to drive success under the direction of Project Owners, with mentors to guide you in your career development. Ownership and accountability are core to how we build successful teams and as a Software Engineer at Cogo you will enjoy a high degree of autonomy as we continue building some of Boston's fastest growing startups.
How we work:
Our core systems are written in Go, containerized using Docker, and managed using Kubernetes; we are obsessive about using Git to track not only our code, but also manage projects, prioritize user requests, and keep our work transparent across the company, all the way down to planning speakers for our various monthly meetings. We run our own state of the art compute and storage systems, managed by our Sysops team, and meshed with cloud services for maximum efficiency and flexibility. We favor Kafka for queuing solutions, high availability MySQL and ElasticSearch clusters for database needs, and Airflow for job and data pipeline orchestration. On the cloud side we make extensive use of Redshift, S3, Presto, and EMR services.
We are big believers in sharing knowledge & expertise internally, with code reviews as standard practice and monthly engineering-focused meetings where we share learnings and best practices. Tech conferences such as DockerCon and GopherCon help us make sure we’re leveraging the best the community has to offer, and our engineering teams love sharing and applying new developments that can accelerate growth.
On your first day you should expect to:
- Be up and running on GitHub, TravisCI, Codecov, Sentry, and Docker
- Start looking at an existing code base and sketching out a plan of attack for your project
- Begin learn about how our business works to add context to your day to day work
Going forward, expect to:
- Add new features to tools and services that support businesses under incubation
- Streamline existing processes that are painful or time consuming
- Upgrade existing systems to take advantage of new technologies
- Support analysts who use your tools in production workflows
- Build monitoring infrastructure that makes sure systems and campaigns are running smoothly
- Maintain and improve existing libraries, APIs, and services that analyst teams and incubating companies depend on daily to grow their businesses
Things that would help you succeed in this role:
- BA/BS in Computer Science required
- Fluency with at least two programming languages
- Familiarity with SQL and database design
- Experience working with macOS or Linux development tools
- A desire to work with and solve problems related to the warehousing of large data sets
- Ability to thrive in an agile, team-oriented environment
About Cogo Labs:
- We’re a venture accelerator - we employ data-driven, analytical methodologies to build profitable large-scale consumer internet businesses
- Our work is challenging and dynamic; our environment is fun and supportive
- Our company is profitable and established - “startup culture” without “startup anxiety”
- We offer competitive salaries and benefits, along with substantive participation in the success of the companies we incubate
- The Cogo team is an interesting and diverse group with passions and hobbies outside of work - we are musicians, athletes, filmmakers, gamers, authors, beer brewers, and whatever you are!