The CognitOps Story
CognitOps is a cloud and ML-driven supply chain startup founded in 2018 and headquartered in Austin, TX. Our purpose is to improve supply chains through better operations management. We're building the brain for every warehouse in the world (and eventually on Mars) to help leaders make faster and better decisions, and we hope you can join us!
CognitOps was founded by a team of lifelong supply chain technology builders. We realized that today's supply chains are unsustainable and wasteful for businesses, jobs, and the environment. And with the support of our family, friends, pets, and investors, we chose to take this challenge head-on bravely. Backed by some of the best VCs in the industry, we began our pursuit of unleashing ingenuity to give rise to resilient businesses.
We tackle cool, challenging problems. For example, we help warehouses supply hospitals with PPE and critical medical equipment more efficiently. We help e-commerce businesses ship orders on time. We tackle these challenging problems using modern technologies like machine learning, queue-based simulation, Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Kafka, and Scala. Our team has decades of startup experience working with big data and building scalable, fault-tolerant, secure software and decades of experience working with warehouses and empathetically understanding the needs they have. We're still a small early-stage company. So you'll have an opportunity to come in, make a huge impact, and be a leader as the company grows. But at the same time, we have significant early customer traction and are already on an accelerated growth path. We believe in having a fun, loose work environment while also fostering a culture grounded in grit, accountability, innovation, collaboration, and bravery.
Supply chains are struggling to evolve. For every 1 billion dollars of e-commerce growth, North America builds 1 million more square feet of warehousing. Yet, warehouses are fraught with waste. Why? Because operations managers and leaders have never had the tools to manage their facilities correctly. It’s mind-boggling to think that the industry continues to invest in robots and point solutions that only perpetuate this broken model. This challenge is compounded by people understandably not wanting to work in these environments. We can fix this together. We can build in the cloud, apply machine learning, build unique products and datasets, and be nonconformists always challenging the status quo together.
What You Bring
Experience in successfully…
- Building highly available, secure, redundant, and scalable distributed systems;
- Writing code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise;
- Working closely with product management and data science while building and scaling back-end services;
- Collaborating with product and design to support an optimal user experience;
- Participating in code reviews to maintain and improve quality;
- Building new features with a focus on extensibility and quality; and,
- Optimizing and refactoring existing code when needed
The following creds get us interested…
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer in a JVM language, with increasingly impactful accomplishments
- A strong desire to learn and program in Scala, demonstrable curiosity with Scala meetups or personal training is a plus
- Experience with cloud computing (Google Cloud Platform, AWS, etc.) desirable
- Solid understanding of SQL and relational database modeling concepts and experience with RDBMS such as PosgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, or Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience in highly scalable service-oriented architectures
- Ability to work both independently on ambiguous problems and in highly collaborative team environments
- Deep curiosity to find out why we have a shrine to a burned-up microwave
The following creds get us excited…
- You love to build new code
- You're not happy spending all day maintaining existing code
- You care about what you do
- You care about what we do
- You live our values
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud. Our hiring process is swift:
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Team Interview
- Values Interview w/Co-Founders
Life at CognitOps
At CognitOps, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change supply chains -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our employees to care for their whole selves with reimbursed and hassle-free health benefits through our HRA, truly unlimited paid time off, paid parental leave, safe company social events, and freedom to pursue volunteer opportunities.