Code for Science & Society (CS&S) is a US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit supporting open collaboration in public interest technology through fiscal sponsorship and other programs supporting sustainable open source, open data, open science, and open infrastructure projects. Our mission is to advance the power of data to improve the social and economic lives of all people. Today, we interpret the public interest framing of our mission as an opportunity to invest in and partner with projects that shift power to those who have been historically excluded from technology and science.

Who we are

2i2c is a non-profit organization, fiscally sponsored by Code for Science and Society(CS&S), with a mission to make interactive computing more accessible, scalable, and powerful for research and education. 

We accomplish this mission by providing managed cloud services for interactive computing, by providing development and technical leadership to researchers and educators that utilize this infrastructure for specific communities, and by providing support for open source tools and communities in this ecosystem.

We have deep ties to the open source community and have been leaders and core contributors across dozens of projects - in particular in the Jupyter ecosystem. We also have deep ties to research and education - our team has spent years deploying infrastructure for universities, community colleges, and research teams, and now we’re bringing this experience to a wider audience with 2i2c.

We believe strongly in communities that are inclusive, transparent, equitable, effective, and diverse, especially 2i2c itself. We believe that our values should permeate everything about 2i2c, including the work we do, the communities we serve, and our own organizational culture.

2i2c is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit project fiscally sponsored by Code for Science and Society.

What you’ll do 

• Ensures the reliable operation of the 2i2c infrastructure (leveraging production-ready cloud-based tools such as JupyterHub, BinderHub, and Dask).
  • Attends support-facing tickets as part of a support rotation process/group (this is not your primary task, although it is currently a shared load among engineers).
  • Explores emerging technologies in the Cloud / DevOps space, design and implement cloud computing architecture in partnership with our team.
  • Participates in upstream open source communities we rely on (such as JupyterHub, BinderHub, Dask, etc) in partnership with the established leaders of those communities and collaborate with the Community Lead in the education and outreach around cloud computing.
  • Work with a distributed and global team - team members are given a lot of autonomy, and expected to be proactive (we do not expect people to carry a pager) at communicating with one another and working with others to allocate effort that will maximize our impact.

Essential requirements 

• Experience with deploying applications on cloud infrastructure.
  • Experience deploying and developing with Linux container-based technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes.
  • Experience with continuous integration services (e.g. Circle CI, GitHub workflows).
  • Experience developing tools in a general purpose programming language (eg. Python).
  • Experience collaborating and coordinating work via online platforms, such as GitHub, GitLab, or BitBucket, and distributed revision control.
  • Experience working with distributed service teams that use asynchronous methods of communication
  • Working hours that overlap with US Pacific time zones

Desirable requirements 

• Experience with major cloud providers.
  • Experience in programming and software engineering with a track record of leadership in open, collaborative projects with broad community adoption.
  • Experience working on geographically distributed open-source projects.
  • Experience with the Jupyter ecosystem and other tools for interactive computing.
  • Evidence of existing connections and relationships in the worldwide ecosystem of open source software for data-intensive research and the ability to establish new ones.
  • Experience with common data science methods, platforms, workflows, and infrastructures; with data management systems, practices, and standards; and the capacity to gain familiarity with new related topics.
  • Experience engaging with highly technical researchers across a variety of methodological fields, research domains, and computational platforms.
  • Experience building and maintaining continuous deployment pipelines.
  • Interpersonal skills to work with researchers and students. Include having skills to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing

What it is like to work at 2i2c and why you’ll like working with us 

2i2c is a remote-first team that believes strongly in our organizational values and mission.

We recommend that you visit our jobs page to learn about what it’s like to work at 2i2c and why you should work with us.

You will also find relevant information about our compensation philosophy and our commitment to equal opportunity. For an even deeper look into how 2i2c works, check out our Team Compass .

Our Benefits and Compensation

Base Salary: US $121,600 - $130,500   

We believe it is important for mission-driven non-profits to also provide competitive benefits and compensation packages. See our compensation philosophy page for more information about our compensation and benefits.

Final note 

We are looking for engineers with working hours overlapping US Pacific timezones. This is an essential requirement to resolve an existing imbalance in the team (most of our engineers are located in European timezones). At this time, we will only review applications compatible with that essential requirement.

Keep in mind we will begin reviewing applications around Oct 16th, and will accept them on a rolling basis until the position is filled.

We are eager to receive your application!

Our team boasts a wide range of backgrounds and experiences. You might be exactly who we’re looking for: don’t hesitate to apply!

Apply for this Job

* Required
resume chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)
cover_letter chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)

Our system has flagged this application as potentially being associated with bot traffic. Please turn off any VPNs, clear your browser cache and cookies, or try submitting your application in a different browser. If this issue persists, please reach out to our support team via our help center.
Please complete the reCAPTCHA above.