Are you an experienced payroll pundit looking to take on their next challenge? Do you have a keen eye for detail and a love for creating efficient process? Are you looking for the opportunity to champion & lead the payroll function for a growing team? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you! We're seeking a highly skilled and organized SR Payroll Specialist to join our team!
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to own the payroll function from end to end and act as the ‘go-to-guy/gal/person’ for all payroll related inquiries. You act with passion and purpose and are keen to scale the payroll function as we grow. Forward thinking is a must - and you rely on your breadth of experience to make strategic recommendations to the team.
But we're not just looking for someone with technical skills – we want someone with personality, too! A sense of humour is a must, as our team values a good laugh and a playful attitude. So if you're a payroll nerd with a playful side, we want to hear from you!
You’re Excited To:
- Review, analyze, process & reconcile semi-monthly payroll for both Canadian and US operations
- Manage monthly commission calculations & payout
- Manage system enrollment for new employees and audit/adjust existing employees as needed.
- Ensure departing employees are paid accurately and within regulatory requirements (ROEs)
- Manage year end payroll reporting, such as T4’s, W2 etc.
- Manage the reconciliation of payroll accounts with general ledger and other reporting systems
- Administration of Company ESOP Program
Reporting & Compliance:
- Complete and file WorkSafe related payroll forms/tax returns as needed
- Compile financial payroll and tax reports for the purpose of internal review and external audits
- Ensure the company remains fully compliant with all payroll regulations and employment standards. Actively follows and incorporates payroll regulation changes.
- Coordinates and interacts with federal, provincial, and state (US) entities on special inquiries related to employee payroll & compensation
Partner & Inform:
- Act as a subject matter expert and liaison for payroll to employees on pay related matters (e.g. commissions calculations/bonuses paid)
- Coordinate with P&C to review and authorize payroll related transactions or data adjustments, including salary changes, balance corrections (vacation/leave)
- Review and administer employee travel portal (Egencia)
- Provide key on-boarding/off-boarding support to P&C (software setups in Nexonia/Egencia/Plooto/Carta/others)
Grow & Scale:
- Develop and implement processes to optimize and scale payroll operations
- Assess current payroll systems, processes, and workflows; identify, investigate, recommend, and execute new or enhanced processes and procedures
- Contribute to various foundational payroll tasks including set up of new jurisdictions, and ensuring benefits and tax deductions are consistent with jurisdictional requirements and laws
What You Bring to the Team:
- 3+ years experience managing full-cycle payroll (min 5-7 years total, and a Payroll certification: PCP or CPM)
- Experience using payroll systems (Gusto/Payworks/ADP)
- Strong analytical & problem-solving skills and keen attention to detail
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A natural curiosity that drives you to proactively find ways to grow, learn and innovate. You’re looking for an opportunity to take initiative, make a genuine impact, and where your contribution will be recognized
While not required, it would be a bonus if you have:
- US Payroll Experience
- Experience scaling the payroll function & team in a rapidly growing company (150-500 Emp)
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply (no matter how quirky or eccentric!) Every great Coconut has their own unique set of skills and characteristics, so even if you don’t feel like your experience ‘ticks every box’ please drop us a line!
Our Investment in You:
- “Cabana Days” - our version of a 4 Day Work Week!
We work regular business hours Monday to Thursday. Then, we’re encouraged to take Fridays off to rest, recharge, and do the things that make us happy!
- Ability to do your job in a supported, but still flexible environment;
- Supported professional development, learning & career opportunities - be supported in your growth journey!
- Regular 1:1 coaching with your leader and regular connection to a passionate executive team
- Work in a team big enough for growth but lean enough to make a real impact
A full range of benefits to keep you happy & healthy;
- Competitive Salaries - we pay fairly based on experience and expertise, not your ability to negotiate!
- Health & Dental Benefits, Virtual Care & Disability top up
- Mental health online platform and counselling services
- Annual Wellness Benefit ($1000 per year)
- Opportunity to work remote - anywhere in Canada!
- Employee Options - everyone shares in our success!
- Internet Subsidy
- Tiki Bucks Incentive Program - means everyone is entitled to earn bonuses
- A People First Company - 4.8 rating on Glassdoor
- Recently named one of the Top 10 Best Workplaces in Canada
Who we are, and what we do:
We believe in a world where advisors can create long lasting relationships with their customers and operate more efficiently.
Collaboration. Honesty. Empathy. Elevate. Respect. Sharing.
Coconut Software makes it effortless for customers to connect with their bank or credit union. Our appointment scheduling, queue management, and video banking solutions are used by leading financial institutions across North America, including RBC, Arvest Bank, Vancity, and Rogue Credit Union. Organizations that use Coconut benefit from a seamless customer experience that improves NPS, reduces wait times, and increases conversion rates.
To date we have raised close to 40M and have been doubling revenue year after year. The team at Coconut has ambitious growth plans to continue to scale the business to new heights by owning the North American market and delivering innovative solutions to our customers.
Coconut has a company culture that is best in class. We foster a community that is unconditionally inclusive, and in return ask that our people contribute their differing perspectives, ideas and experiences for one common purpose: to advance the way people live and work in an environment of diversity, equity and inclusion and workplace belonging.
Some recent awards we're proud of include:
Coconut Software is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.