Cobblestone Energy is an independent trading firm. Founded in 2017, we are part of the next generation of companies defining the future of global commodity trading. Although we have experienced very strong growth so far, we are still near the start of our journey. We have ambitions to go a lot further.
Energy in one form or another is fundamental to almost all the world's economic activities. By understanding the demand, supply, and logistics of these commodities, we can better understand the world.
We specialise in the proprietary trading of the short-term wholesale electricity markets across Europe. We make use of advanced data analytics and extensive research to drive profitable decision making, trading enough electricity every day to power a small country and growing every day. Technology and risk management form the backbone of our business.
Over the years we have grown organically. As part of our journey to be the best in all markets we enter, we would like to welcome a Data Engineer into our team. They will already be on a successful career path and looking to take the next step with increased responsibility and be a part of our growth story.
- Lifelong learning with continuous reflection
- Independent thinking through a meritocracy of ideas
- The team is more important than the individual
- Being the best in any market we enter
- Hiring and keeping only the most effective people
- Others must benefit from our existence.
At Cobblestone Energy we are on a mission to build the most advanced European electricity trading and analytics platform, with our technology being used by our teams of commercial traders to create significant value. Being the Data Engineer of our team, you will work on exciting challenges that come with large-scale data processing, automation, and analytics. We work in an agile and highly collaborative environment and challenge the norms of traditional business leadership. We are looking for enthusiastic and resourceful engineers who are passionate about building highly reliable and performance data processing solutions. You want to help the commercial team make data-informed decisions, have a curious mindset, and are motivated to understand our business better. Developing a strong domain knowledge of our industry over time is key to long term success in this role.
This is a rare opportunity to take a leading role in the growth of a major player in the European Electricity Markets. We are looking for someone who would be committed to the long-term success of the business. We operate in the European Energy markets, but our commercial trading operations are in Dubai, UAE. This role is either remote or onsite. Work shall be done from your home country with periodic travels to Dubai in which case Cobblestone Energy shall handle all visa and paperwork issues on your behalf.
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join our Tech team at Cobblestone Energy. You will be responsible for building our data pipelines and you will be also participating in setting the right Infrastructure and developing the needed tools for our Analytics.
If you have excellent data engineering skills, strong problem-solving skills, and a passion for developing applications utilizing cutting edge technologies, then we would like to meet you.
It can be in our Dubai office or remotely with periodic travel to Dubai
Jumeirah Business Centre 2, Cluster V, Jumeirah Lake Towers, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Gather and address technical and design requirements.
- Architect our data platform & develop real-time apps ingesting large volume of data and processing messages real-time.
- Handle all our data pipeline and contribute towards our data strategy and its execution.
- Architecting, building, testing & managing our data platform infrastructure from data collection all the way to data processing & data storage.
- Develop, customize and manage integration tools, monitoring tools, databases, warehouses, and analytical systems.
- Support the developers through training and transfer of knowledge.
- Participate in the entire application life-cycle mainly focusing on coding, debugging, and testing.
- BSc degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering. Masters is a plus.
- Strong competencies in algorithms and software architecture.
- 3+ years of experience in Python.
- 2+ years of experience as a Data Engineer.
- Strong experience in real-time data processing and data ingestion.
- Strong experience in batch data processing and data pipelines.
- Strong work experience in AWS Kinesis Services and building apps utilizing it is a must.
- 3+ years of experience in developing APIs (REST & SOAP protocols).
- 2+ years of experience in using AWS cloud and its resources/services.
- Strong experience in Relational Databases (MySQL, SQL Server or PostgreSQL) and non-relational databases (Mongo DB or Cassandra. etc.)
- Strong knowledge in Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) utilizing Docker containers.
- Strong knowledge in Pandas & NumPy libraries is a big plus.
- Strong knowledge in workflow orchestration tools (Airflow …etc.) is a plus.
- Experience in Java is a plus.
- Previous experience in automated testing including unit testing & UI testing is a plus.
- Strong in-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development, and deployment)
- Excellent analytical, time management and teamwork skills.
Some videos for your reference:
Who is Elexon? For the UK market, they are the system administrator.
Some general information about electricity trading arrangements in the UK
Elexon sushi video. Tries to explain the balancing of the UK's electricity grid
The videos above are UK centric, but our current interest is Europe wide. Feel free to research the other markets. This is a longer video that to me explains why there is such large opportunity going forward for the electricity traders who are able to efficiently analyse supply and demand fundamentals and move power between countries, for the benefit of all.
Once Europe is conquered, we do genuinely intend on going global. The American power markets look next on the plate, followed by the Australian and Japanese.