Who We Are
Cobalt.io is a fast-growing and globally distributed remote-first cybersecurity start-up with employees in the US and Germany. We connect global security talent with businesses by providing Pentesting as a Service via the Cobalt technology platform. We have Scandinavian roots, an American base and a global outlook. Our team is characterized by a fun, fast-paced and collaborative culture based on individual responsibility and ownership.
Today, Cobalt helps secure hundreds of leading B2B companies (GoDaddy, HubSpot) by connecting them with on-demand pentesting experts. The application brings both sides together to identify, triage and fix vulnerabilities. Seven years and over 20K commits later, our technology has been battle tested by thousands of users.
Infrastructure Core is a small multinational team based in Berlin (Germany). You will support us by covering the US East Coast time zone and providing direct support to US-based engineering.
Our infrastructure is Cloud Native. We use Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services as the most modern approach to build and run our applications in dynamic and scalable environments. We apply IaC to manage our resources and CI/CD pipeline to enable continuous delivery of engineering features. Together with a set of monitoring tools it creates a reliable and contemporary ecosystem.
As a part of the Infrastructure Core, you will empower engineers to design, build, and iteratively improve Cobalt’s Platform; work on the best practices, guardrails, and automations; and establish Cobalt as part of the larger, connected SDLC and security tooling ecosystem. You’ll work closely with the US based engineers and provide them with necessary support when needed.
If you enjoy making an impact, the Cobalt Engineering team is excited to hear from you.
What You Would Do
- Work in a remote friendly engineering team (our engineering base is in Berlin)
- Build and maintain highly available systems responsible for service deployment & telemetry across dev, test, staging and production environments
- Architect and manage secure, scalable infrastructure utilizing Kubernetes to support our external and internal use cases
- Work closely with software engineers and our security team to identify work that improves the stability, security, and self-service nature of our infrastructure, shepherding those ideas and projects from inception to completion
- Develop tools automating engineering workflows and tasks
- Debug complex issues and performance problems throughout the stack
- Collaborate with the InfoSec team
You Identify As
- Self-Starter: You feel at home as a hands-on, self-directed contributor who drives initiatives within the team and cross-team, for the product and for other engineers
- Team-Player: You collaborate with your teammates, engineers, InfoSec and various folks daily to deliver high quality features on-time, and you enjoy empowering others with efficient tools and workflows
- Technical-Interface: You communicate with clarity and precision, whether with teammates or other stakeholders, helping others to understand technical complexities and opportunities in terms they’ll understand
- Improvement-Minded: You take initiative, identifying ways to continuously improve how you and your team work, contributing to a culture of innovation
You Must Have
- 3+ years experience as an engineer working with production infrastructure at scale
- Software engineering background with extensive hands-on experience
- Good communication skills and a sense of humour
- Proven ability to thrive with a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively with other engineering teams and business stakeholders in an asynchronous environment
- Strong Linux and scripting skills (bash)
- Networking knowledge (HTTP, TCP, TLS)
- Experience in containers (Docker), orchestration (Kubernetes), IaC (Terraform) and cloud architectures (GCP)
- High comfort level with a remote-first, global company (i.e. an alarm clock: ability to get up early to work with our Berlin team and overlap with our west-coast team in the US)
- US-East time zone location
Nice to Have
- Experience with full stack architectures, working with API design and implementation
- Experience in a fast-growing SaaS company
- Experience with public key infrastructure (PKI)
- Experience in the cybersecurity industry / knowledge of best practices
Why You Should Join Us
- Opportunity to join and grow in a passionate, rapidly expanding industry operating at the forefront of Pentesting!
- Work directly with experienced senior leaders with ongoing mentorship opportunities
- Competitive compensation and attractive equity plan
- Flexible paid time off, remote working from anywhere in the US and travel policies
- Paid remote lunches
- Stipends for wellness, work-from-home and learning & development
- 401(k) program to help you save for the future (US only)
- Medical, dental, and life insurance benefits (US only)