Coast is re-imagining the trillion-dollar U.S. B2B card payments infrastructure, with a focus on the country’s 500,000 commercial fleets, 40 million commercial vehicles, and many million commercial drivers. The incumbent technologies that cater to these customers are decades old, and drivers, fleets, and the merchants that serve them all increasingly demand modern digital experiences and affordable and transparent financial services products. Coast's mission is to deliver them at a transformational scale, and to improve working lives in one of the country’s biggest industry sectors. The company is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds.
Coast is competing and winning with software, and we are building a world-class engineering team. This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground level early on, contribute and learn in myriad ways, make key decisions, expand your impact as the business grows, have fun, and learn a ton in the process. If you're practical and business-minded, smart and creative, and excited about the rewards and the energy of an early-stage venture-backed startup, we'd love to hear from you.
We are looking for a founding member of the Coast data engineering team to shape our company’s data culture and underlying infrastructure.
We have followed the path of least resistance so far, creating a data warehouse and pulling in both operational and vendor data, adding BI and other SaaS tools on top of it.
Now as we are growing, we recognize the need for a dedicated leader for all things data at Coast — someone that can work with our business users, establish company-wide self-serve data infrastructure, and enable product engineering teams to build data products well. We are looking for someone that can champion data-aware culture within the company, as well as roll up their sleeves and build out the technical pieces behind it. Looking ahead, we need to position ourselves well for feature engineering work that will power our AI/ML use cases. This means metadata, automation, observability, and quality.
We need you to help us establish a vision for the data ecosystem evolution while satisfying day to day demands of a rapidly growing early stage startup.
You will report directly to the Head of Engineering and work from our NYC office.
The Data Engineer will:
- lead design and implementation of all aspects of our data ecosystem — from obtaining third party data to building our own data products, from infrastructure architecture to end-user BI and data exploration toolchain;
- evangelize and implement the best practices, from reasoning about statistical significance to implementing headless BI, from source control and change management to database migrations;
- establish guardrails for self-serve ecosystem for the business users;
- help our product engineering teams evolve from treating data as exhaust to building DDD-based data products;
- establish ETL/ELT patterns, from landing zone to semantic layers;
- ensure that our metrics are built on top of consistent, curated data with clear stewardship;
- oversee our connected SaaS data landscape;
- own the budget for the data infrastructure and develop a sensible cost allocation model;
- safeguard our data, from tokenization and access controls, to retention and backups;
- remain relentlessly pragmatic and balance the daily demands or a fast-growing startup business with the needs of a well-managed platform;
- eventually hire and run a data org as we scale.
The Data Engineer must:
- have 5-7+ years hands-on experience working across the data ecosystem, from modern ETL/ELT and orchestration to data warehouses and columnar stores, from BI tooling for less-technical business users to SQL optimization;
- have software engineering mindset, leading with the principles of source control, infrastructure as code, testing, modularity, automation, CICD, and observability;
- bring in a strong professional network, since it is impossible to know everything, and one must be able to tap others for advice;
- have experience working directly with product engineers as well as business users;
- be proficient in Python, since you would be expected to contribute data platform aspects into product engineering code as well as write your own tools;
- be able to figure stuff out - the modern data space is deep and complex, and there are many ways of solving the same problem; you need to be able to go off on your own, research and design a solution, implement technical spikes, and then deliver it through responsible change management;
- have an owner mindset and continuously look for, notice, and implement improvements to our data infrastructure, because small continuous improvements matter;
- be a thought-leader that keeps a finger on the pulse of the industry - vendor landscape, industry trends;
- work from our NYC SoHo office at least four days a week.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of our total compensation package that also includes benefits, signing bonus, and equity. Pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including scope and qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to other Coast employees. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at Coast to fall healthily within the range based on these factors.
- Salary range: $185,000 - $220,000 annually
- Signing bonus
- Equity grant: commensurate with level determined at the discretion of the company, with meaningful potential upside given the company’s early stage
- Benefits overview:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited paid time off (vacation, personal well being, paid holidays)
- Paid parental leave
- $400 accessories allowance for home office setup to be spent on a keyboard, mouse, headphones, etc.
- Free lunch every Friday
Coast is founded and led by Daniel Simon, who previously cofounded Bread (breadpayments.com), a leading payments and credit technology firm backed by some of the world’s top VCs which was acquired for $500MM+ in 2020.
Coast recently raised $27.5M in a Series A financing co-led by Accel and Insight Partners. We're also backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds – including Better Tomorrow Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, BoxGroup, Foundation Capital, Greycroft, and Colle – and premier angel investors – including Max Levchin (Affirm), Josh Abramowitz (Bread), Jason Gardner (Marqeta), William Hockey (Plaid), Ryan Petersen (Flexport), and many others.
Coast is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are building a diverse and inclusive environment, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.