Cloud to Street is the recognized authority on using satellites and AI to track floods anywhere on earth. Founded by two climate experts with initial funding from Google, the team comes from NASA, Facebook, Google, Willis Towers Watson, and Oscar Insurance. Our platform has been used by 18 countries to fill critical information gaps for disaster planning and response, and is the official emergency flood mapping provider to the United Nations. The technology is now enabling insurers to expand protection to billions of uninsured assets and people through partnerships with Munich Re and Willis Towers Watson. We recently raised a large seed from top investors that will be announced soon.
We are looking for software engineers at all levels to implement scalable geospatially-oriented solutions aiming to quantify the impact of catastrophic flooding and create practical decision-support tools for disaster responders, flood managers, and insurers. In this role, you will lead the development of software infrastructure to help process remote sensing imagery and implement algorithms on the processed imagery at scale. To this end, you will work closely with a team of scientists and engineers with expertise in remote sensing (optical, radar, and passive microwave), hydrology, climate, social vulnerability, UX, and machine learning.
Who you are (at least two out of four):
- Extensive experience in building complex backend data processing systems or applications
- Experience deploying algorithms on imagery at scale using Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure using Docker or similar
- Experience designing, developing, and optimizing scalable, reliable, and maintainable ETL data pipelines
- Broad experience in other parts of software development life cycle including but not limited to testing frameworks, CI/CD, system design, task automation
Other nice to haves:
- Experience with geospatial data processing using open source software
- Working with SQL databases
- Familiarity with frameworks such as Angular
- Experience with REST APIs
- Any DevOps/MLOps experience
- Software development experience in early startups
- Prioritizes justice, diversity, science, and solidarity with vulnerable communities
Responsibilities (a subset of these as applicable for your background):
- Use your top-notch software development expertise to inspire others to develop better software practices and principles
- Design, develop, and maintain scalable computing infrastructure for processing large volumes of satellite imagery
- Deploy and maintain Cloud to Street’s web dashboard for interacting with spatial and non-spatial data to deliver insights to clients
- Build, improve, and utilize data pipelines to improve the quality, comprehensiveness, and efficiency of Cloud to Street’s data processing and delivery systems
- Build and maintain CI/CD pipelines for our development, validation, and production environments
- Collaborate with a team of exceptional scientists and engineers to increase the velocity of transitioning algorithms from prototype to production
This position will ideally be based out of New York City or Austin, Texas but is currently remote. Remote work is possible for the right candidate (from Pacific to Central European time zones).
Applications will be open until the position is filled, with the goal of hiring the right candidate as soon as possible.
Full-Time Team Benefits
- Generous vacation package
- Healthcare & dental insurance
- Professional development fund
- Paid parental leave
- Work from home office support