At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal -- to help build a better Internet. We believe that with our talented team, smart technology, and engaged users, we can solve some of the biggest problems on the Internet. We serve more than 1.4 billion page views each month across 5 million Internet properties. Anytime we push a line of code, it affects over 200 million web surfers. We are a team of 500+ people, well-funded, growing quickly, and focused on building a world-class company.
Cloudflare is looking for a Data Protection Officer to join our Legal team in our San Francisco office. You will help craft and implement our legal compliance systems, with a strong focus on our data protection and privacy compliance program. This will help ensure that Cloudflare handles personal data responsibly and complies with all applicable data protection and privacy laws, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). You will work collaboratively across multiple teams to build and enhance an appropriate compliance framework. The ideal candidate is a professional with experience in a wide range of compliance efforts, but particularly with privacy law and practices.
Specific duties in this role will include:
- Educating the company and employees on important compliance requirements
- Training staff involved in data processing
- Conducting audits to ensure compliance and address potential issues proactively
- Serving as the point of contact between the company and GDPR Supervisory Authorities
- Monitoring performance and providing ongoing advice to teams across the organization on the meaning and application of data protection and privacy regulations.
- Maintaining comprehensive records of all data processing activities conducted by the company, including the purpose of all processing activities, which must be made public on request
- Interfacing with data subjects to inform them about how their data is being used, their rights to have their personal data erased, and what measures the company has put in place to protect their personal information
- Assisting with other privacy and legal compliance tasks as needed and as time permits on subjects including, but not limited to, employment, ethics, finance, PCI, SOC 2, etc.
This role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter and critical thinker, who will be energized by working with a great team. You’ll be able to to help us work towards GDPR compliance and create and manage programs and systems for ongoing compliance.
- 7+ years of relevant experience working in compliance roles, including a significant amount of work specifically on privacy and data protection issues, preferably with time in-house at a technology company with established privacy compliance protocols.
- Legal degree and license to practice law is a plus, but candidates with significant experience on privacy matters will also be considered seriously.
- Expert knowledge of data protection and privacy law and practices.
- Excellent management skills and the ability to interface easily with internal staff at all levels as well as outside authorities.
- Technical expertise and an understanding of the way that the Internet, and companies like Cloudflare, operate is a plus.
- Experience with compliance issues and standards at all levels (local, state, federal and international) and familiarity with industry-specific regimes (e.g. HIPAA, PCI, GDPR, etc.)
- Strong technical and business background. You can understand and discuss complex technical issues, which earn you the respect of technical and sales teams while explaining compliance needs.
- The ability to work in a team, with lawyers and non-lawyers, to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner.
We offer competitive salaries, equity, fantastic health benefits plan, monthly CalTrain / BART pass for commuters and the opportunity to work with a smart, motivated team where you will see your contribution daily. Our sunny offices are based in SOMA in San Francisco, CA.
Sound like somewhere you'd thrive? We'd love to hear from you. Submit your resume and a short paragraph to introduce yourself.
What Makes Us Special
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet. In 2014, we launched Project Galileo, an initiative through which we partner with global NGOs to identify websites at risk of attack and provide the same state-of-the-art mitigation technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost. Project Galileo equips politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work. In 2016, we announced our partnership with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization that works with companies to create 18-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one. With the lofty goal of shaping the future of the Internet, we’re focused on recruiting the best and the brightest, no matter what.
Cloudflare is a security company. A successful background check is required for employment.
Cloudflare hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities and effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any protected classification.