At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal -- to help build a better Internet. We believe that with our talented team, smart technology, and engaged users, we can solve some of the biggest problems on the Internet. We serve more than 1.4 trillion pageviews each month across 5 million Internet properties. More than 10 percent of all global Internet requests flow through Cloudflares’s distributed network. Cloudflare accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. We are a team of 500+ people, well-funded, growing quickly, and focused on building a world-class company.
Cloudflare is looking for a Product Counsel to join the Legal team in our San Francisco office. The ideal candidate is a seasoned legal professional with deep technical knowledge and experience working with product and engineering teams to support their innovative efforts.
In this role, you will play a broad role working closely with product and engineering teams to define and provide guidance on legal issues. You will be involved throughout the product development life cycle to manage legal risk and ensure compliance in a collaborative fashion. You will also be called upon to negotiate complex commercial relationships, including intellectual property agreements, that contribute to Cloudflare’s success. You will help draft terms of service, disclosures, policies and help implement related processes.
This role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter and strategic thinker, who has a thirst for knowledge and continued growth, all while working as part of a great team. You’ll be able to to develop and improve upon our existing processes, and help us pave the way for continued expansion.
- JD degree with strong academic credentials.
- Admitted to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction (ideally California).
- 6+ years of relevant experience working in legal roles at law firms or preferably in-house at a technology company.
- Experience with compliance issues and standards at all levels (local, state, federal and international) and familiarity with industry-specific and consumer protection regimes (e.g. GDPR, PCI, advertising, data protection, etc.)
- Strong technical and business background. You can understand and discuss complex technical issues, especially related to software development or Internet transmission.
- You have the skills needed to earn the respect of technical and sales teams while explaining compliance needs.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage many tasks on a complex project.
- Strong leadership skills and/or management experience. People want to work with you.
- The ability to work in a team, with lawyers and non-lawyers, to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner
We offer competitive salaries, equity, fantastic health benefits plan, monthly CalTrain / BART pass for commuters and the opportunity to work with a smart, motivated team where you will see your contribution daily. Our sunny offices are based in SOMA in San Francisco, CA.
Sound like somewhere you'd thrive? We'd love to hear from you.
What Makes Us Special
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet. In 2014, we launched Project Galileo, an initiative through which we partner with global NGOs to identify websites at risk of attack and provide the same state-of-the-art mitigation technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost. Project Galileo equips politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work. In 2016, we announced our partnership with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization that works with companies to create 18-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one. With the lofty goal of shaping the future of the Internet, we’re focused on recruiting the best and the brightest, no matter what.
Cloudflare is a security company. A successful background check is required for employment. Cloudflare hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities and effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any protected classification.