At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal -- to help build a better Internet. We believe that with our talented team, smart technology, and engaged users, we can solve some of the biggest problems on the Internet. We serve more than 1.4 billion page views each month across more than 5 million Internet properties. Anytime we push a line of code, it affects over 200 million web surfers. We are a team of 500+ people, well-funded, growing quickly, and focused on building a world-class company.
Cloudflare is looking for a Head of Legal Compliance to join our Legal team in our San Francisco office. The ideal candidate is a seasoned legal professional with a deep knowledge of compliance programs addressing U.S., local, and international legal requirements, and who thrives on working with all parts of the organization to build a world-class operation.
In this role, you will manage a team of a team of 2-4 attorneys and paralegals to develop, implement, train, maintain, and monitor the company’s compliance with applicable legal requirements. Specific duties will include:
- Developing or revising policies related to all legal compliance areas, including but not limited to federal legal requirements (e.g., FCPA, CFAA, OFAC), employment laws, ethical standards, whistle-blower programs, privacy, and foreign registrations.
- Making quarterly reports to company management and the board of directors regarding compliance and risk management.
- Managing the company’s internal policy development process
- Developing, implementing, and tracking employee training programs
- Leading internal compliance investigations and third party due diligence processes
- Partnering closely with internal finance, audit, HR and InfoSec teams on their related efforts.
This role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter and strategic thinker, who has a thirst for knowledge and continued growth, all while working as part of a great team. You’ll be able to to develop and improve upon our existing processes, and help us pave the way for continued expansion.
- JD and Bachelor's Degree, ideally top-tier schools, and/or top of class.
- Admitted to practice law in at least one U.S. state (ideally California).
- 7+ years of relevant experience working in legal roles preferably in-house at a technology company with established compliance protocols.
- Experience with compliance issues and standards at all levels (local, state, federal and international) and familiarity with industry-specific regimes.
- Strong technical and business background. You can understand and discuss complex technical issues, which earn you the respect of technical and sales teams while explaining compliance needs.
- Strong leadership skills and/or management experience. People want to work with you.
- The ability to work in a team, with lawyers and non-lawyers, to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner
- Strong organizational and project management skills. You have the ability to support multiple projects and a multifaceted workload and meet deadlines in a high energy and detail oriented environment.
We offer competitive salaries, equity, fantastic health benefits plan, monthly CalTrain / BART pass for commuters and the opportunity to work with a smart, motivated team where you will see your contribution daily. Our sunny offices are based in SOMA in San Francisco, CA.
Sound like somewhere you'd thrive? We'd love to hear from you. Submit your resume and a short paragraph to introduce yourself.
What Makes Us Special
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet. In 2014, we launched Project Galileo, an initiative through which we partner with global NGOs to identify websites at risk of attack and provide the same state-of-the-art mitigation technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost. Project Galileo equips politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work. In 2016, we announced our partnership with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization that works with companies to create 18-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one. With the lofty goal of shaping the future of the Internet, we’re focused on recruiting the best and the brightest, no matter what.
Cloudflare is a security company. A successful background check is required for employment.
Cloudflare hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities and effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any protected classification.