At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today, Cloudflare runs one of the world’s largest distributed networks that powers more than 1.5 trillion pageviews each month across 6 million Internet properties. More than 10 percent of all global Internet requests flow through Cloudflare’s network.
Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies and nonprofits to small businesses and budding entrepreneurs. Every day, about 12,000 new customers sign up. We’re working to create a faster, more secure, and more reliable experience for anyone online and given the scale at which we operate, our mission is big. Our team is hard at work shaping the future of the Internet by solving some of its toughest challenges. Come join us!
About the Role
We believe that with our talented team, smart technology and engaged users we can solve some of the biggest problems on the Web. Just how big?
- We operate 118 data centers today, and will soon operate more than 150!
- We have over 10 Terabit of network transit capacity
- We serve more web traffic than Twitter, Amazon, Apple, Instagram, Bing, & Wikipedia combined
- Anytime we push code, it immediately affects over 200 million web users
- Every day, more than 12,000 new customers sign-up for Cloudflare service
- Every week, the average Internet user touches us more than 500 times
We’re building a dedicated Data Center Operations team to support our existing engineering teams in the administration of more than 100 data centers around the world in more than 40 countries. Looking to the future, we plan to expand to thousands of points-of-presence around the globe. Working in close collaboration with our Infrastructure, Site Reliability and Network teams, the DCO team will:
- Provision hardware, software, and network in new Cloudflare data centers
- Upgrade software in our current Cloudflare data centers
- Monitor network and hardware issues in our data centers
- Repair and maintains data center equipment
- Manage “remote hands” work within our data centers
Every day, our SRE teams manage thousands of servers spread across hundreds of data centers. While the SRE teams focus on software and network issues, we’re building a dedicated team of people who are passionate about hardware, uptime, performance, and have the attention-to-detail to maintain the integrity of our data centers.
Working closely with our SRE team, you will learn how we manage the core systems of the global Cloudflare network, and will be mentored on the best ways to gracefully manage service availability, expand our capacity, and ensure uniform Cloudflare performance and availability.
- Minimum of 2 years of related data center or Linux systems administration experience
- Linux/Unix systems administration
- Intel-architecture server administration
- Network hardware administration
- Familiarity with day-to-day tasks and projects common in Data Center Operations
- Comfortable with remote “lights-out” and out-of-band access to data center resources
- Linux certifications such as LPIC-1 or RHCSA or similar work experience
- Team collaboration with multiple technical teams in remote locations
- Knowledge of the OSI-model and experience isolating network, hardware and software issues
- Configuration management systems such as Saltstack, Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Scripting or software development experience in Bash, Python or Go-lang
- Familiarity with load balancing and reverse proxies such as Nginx, Varnish, HAProxy, Apache
Some tools that we use
- Debian Linux
- Prometheus & Grafana
- JIRA & Confluence
- Mesos / Marathon; Kubernetes
- Stash / Git
- SQL databases (Postgres or MySQL)
- Time series databases (OpenTSDB, Graphite, Prometheus, Grafana)
What Makes Us Special
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet. In 2014, we launched Project Galileo, an initiative through which we partner with global NGOs to identify websites at risk of attack and provide the same state-of-the-art mitigation technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost. Project Galileo equips politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work.
Additionally, in 2016, we announced our partnership with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization that works with companies to create 18-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one. With the lofty goal of shaping the future of the Internet, we’re focused on recruiting the best and the brightest, no matter what.
Cloudflare is a security company. A successful background check is required for employment.
Cloudflare hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities and effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.