At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today, Cloudflare runs one of the world’s largest distributed networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month, which is nearly 10 percent of all Internet requests worldwide. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code.
Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies and nonprofits to small businesses and budding entrepreneurs. We are working to create a faster, more secure, and more reliable experience for anyone online and given the scale at which we operate, our mission is big. Our team is hard at work shaping the future of the Internet by solving some of its toughest challenges.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Role
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to build a better Web.
We believe that with our talented team, smart technology and engaged users we can solve some of the biggest problems on the Web. Just how big?
- We handle more than 10% of the world’s Internet traffic
- We have over 6 Terabit of network transit capacity
- We serve more web traffic than Twitter, Amazon, Apple, Instagram, Bing, & Wikipedia combined
- Anytime we push code, it immediately affects over 200 million web surfers
- Every day, more than 10,000 new customers sign-up for Cloudflare service
- Every week, the average Internet user touches us more than 500 times
- We serve data from over 80 points-of-presence around the world
We are still a small team, well-funded, growing quickly and focused on building a world-class company.
Our globally distributed network is core to what we do. We are looking for talented SREs to join our all-star team and scale our network as Cloudflare’s business grows. The ideal candidate has deep insights into how the web works, with a strong knowledge of DNS, linux, TLS, and automation. This is a great opportunity to be part of a small team building and running a high growth network. You will build tools to constantly improve availability, performance, uptime and response times. You will nurture a passion for an “automate everything” approach that makes systems failure-resistant and ready-to-scale.
Our SRE team monitors our network 24 hours a day in a “follow-the-sun” approach with offices in:
- San Francisco
Many of our SREs have had the opportunity to work at multiple offices on interim and long-term project assignments.
The ideal SRE candidate has a passionate curiosity about how the Internet fundamentally works and has a strong knowledge of DNS, Linux and TLS along with strong coding ability in Bash, Python or Go. We prefer to hire very experienced candidates; however raw skill trumps experience and we welcome strong junior candidates.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- Linux systems administration
- Software development language skills in Python, PHP, Go, SQL or Bash
- Strong skills in network services such as DNS, TLS/SSL, HTTP
- Network fundamentals DHCP, ARP, subnetting, routing, firewalls
- Experience with the Linux Kernel and linux software packaging
- Performance analysis and debugging with tools like perf, sar, strace, dtrace
- Configuration management systems such as Saltstack, Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Load balancing and reverse proxy technologies such as Nginx, Varnish, HAProxy, Apache
- SQL databases (Postgres or MySQL)
- Time series databases (OpenTSDB, Graphite, Prometheus, Grafana)
- Key/Value stores (Redis, KyotoTycoon, Cassandra, LevelDB)
- Internetworking and BGP
- Experience with network programming in C, C++ or Go
- Mandarin Speaking
- Experience with continuous / rapid release engineering
- Strong tooling and automations development experience
- Experience working in a 24/7/365 service environment
- High-bandwidth transit Internetworking and routing experience
Some tools that we use
- Mesos / Marathon
What Makes Us Special
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94115.