At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today, Cloudflare operates the most interconnected edge network in the world which handles 10% of all Internet requests. Our 153 global data centers process more than 10 million requests per second, serving more than 1.4 trillion page views to 2.8 billion people every month. Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies and nonprofits to small businesses and budding entrepreneurs. Every day, up to 20,000 new customers sign up for Cloudflare. Our network protects and accelerates any Internet application without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Given the scale at which we operate and the scope of our mission, our team is hard at work to solve some very tough engineering challenges.
Come join us!
About the Role
An engineering role at Cloudflare provides an opportunity address some big challenges, at scale. We believe that with our talented team, we can solve some of the biggest security, reliability and performance problems facing the Internet. Just how big?
- We have in excess of 15 Terabits of network transit capacity
- We process 10% of the world’s Internet traffic
- We operate 153 Points-of-presence around the world
- We serve more traffic than Twitter, Amazon, Apple, Instagram, Bing, & Wikipedia combined
- Anytime we push code, it immediately affects over 200 million internet users
- Every day, up to 20,000 new customers sign-up for Cloudflare service
- Every week, the average Internet user touches us more than 500 times
We are looking for talented Systems Reliability Engineers to build and operate the platform which makes Cloudflare customers place their trust in us. Our SREs come from a variety of technical backgrounds and have built up their knowledge working in different environments. But the common factors across all of our reliability-focused engineers include a passion for automation, scalability, and operational excellence. Our SRE teams monitor our network in a “follow the sun” approach with offices in Singapore, London, and San Francisco.
We are still a small team, well-funded, growing quickly and focused on building an extraordinary company. This is a superb opportunity to join a high-performing team and scale our high-growth network as Cloudflare’s business grows. You will build tools to constantly improve availability, performance, uptime and response times. You will nurture a passion for an “automate everything” approach that makes systems failure-resistant and ready-to-scale.
Cloudflare SREs work in one of these 4 teams:
- Core Operations
- Edge Operations
- Core Platform
- Edge Platform
The Operations teams focus on the immediate state and functionality of the Cloudflare platform around the world, leveraging an array of monitoring, alerting and diagnostics tools. The Platform teams focus on developing and enhancing the Cloudflare platform and its capabilities. The Platform and Operations team are both “devops” teams, responsible for reliability engineering across a wide portfolio of applications and services, leveraging developer and operator patterns. Many of our SREs have had the opportunity to work at multiple offices on interim and long-term project assignments. The ideal SRE candidate has a passionate curiosity about how the Internet fundamentally works and has a strong knowledge of DNS, Linux and TLS along with strong coding ability in Bash, Python or Go. We prefer to hire very experienced candidates; however raw skill trumps experience and we welcome strong junior applicants.
- Linux systems administration experience
- 3 years of relevant Site Reliability Engineering experience
- Intermediate level software development skills in Python, Go or SQL
- Strong skills in network services, including DNS, TLS/SSL and HTTP
- Network fundamentals DHCP, ARP, subnetting, routing, firewalls, IPv6
- 5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with the Linux kernel and Linux software packaging
- Performance analysis and debugging with tools like perf, sar, strace, dtrace
- Configuration management systems such as Saltstack, Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Load balancing and reverse proxies such as Nginx, Varnish, HAProxy, Apache
- SQL databases (Postgres or MySQL)
- Time series databases (OpenTSDB, Graphite, Prometheus, Grafana)
- Key/Value stores (Redis, KyotoTycoon, Cassandra, LevelDB)
- Internetworking and BGP
- Experience with network programming in C, C++ or Go
- Experience with continuous / rapid release engineering
- Strong tooling and automations development experience
- Experience working in a 24/7/365 service environment
- High-bandwidth transit Internetworking and routing experience
Some tools that we use
- Mesos / Marathon
What Makes Us Special
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
In 2014, we launched Project Galileo, an initiative through which we partner with global NGOs to identify websites at risk of attack and provide the same state-of-the-art mitigation technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost. Project Galileo equips politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work.
Additionally, in 2016, we announced our partnership with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization that works with companies to create 18-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one. With the lofty goal of shaping the future of the Internet, we’re focused on recruiting the best and the brightest, no matter what.
Cloudflare hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities and effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.