At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today, Cloudflare runs one of the world’s largest distributed networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month, which is nearly 10 percent of all Internet requests worldwide. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code.
Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies and nonprofits to small businesses and budding entrepreneurs. We are working to create a faster, more secure, and more reliable experience for anyone online and given the scale at which we operate, our mission is big. Our team is hard at work shaping the future of the Internet by solving some of its toughest challenges. Come join us!
About the Department
Cloudflare’s Engineering Team builds and runs the software that handles about 10% of HTTP requests on the Internet today. We also build and run the internal tools that builds and runs our software. The Engineering Team is split into two groups: one handles product development and the other handles operations. Product development covers both new features and functionality and scaling our existing software to meet the challenges of a massively growing customer base. The operations team handles one of the world’s largest networks with data centers in 150+ cities worldwide.
What you'll do
Argo is an innovative product that intelligently selects optimal routing paths through Cloudflare’s edge network for improved performance, reliability, and security. We launched Argo in May 2017, but that was just the beginning. The Argo team is moving quickly towards our vision of building the fastest, most reliable, most secure way to move data anywhere on the planet, and we need your help!
As a Engineer on the Argo team, you will be responsible for building and maintaining the technologies and systems that comprise Argo, both in our high-performance global edge network and in our centralized microservice cluster. You will participate in all stages of the software development lifecycle, from designing and documenting systems, to writing code and automated tests, to planning, managing, and monitoring production software deployments. You will work with a wide range of technologies and programming languages, including Go, NGINX, Lua, REST APIs, ClickHouse, Kafka, Salt, SQL, Python, Grafana, Docker, and Marathon. You will solve problems of massive scale and significance, shaping the future of performance on the Internet.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
All members of the Argo team contribute to all areas of the product. We’re looking for engineers at all levels who are excited to work broadly across our technology and service stack while also contributing deep expertise in one or more relevant areas, such as:
- Networking: You have deep knowledge of L4 and/or L7 networking protocols. You have years of experience building low-level network applications on top of the Linux kernel. You are obsessed with measuring and optimizing for performance.
- Microservices: You take a top-down approach to system design, identifying points of dependency and isolation with an eye towards flexibility and resilience. You’ve built networked services in Docker and designed their RESTful communication interfaces. You treat operational visibility and ease of management as first-class requirements when building new services.
- Data Systems: You’re an expert at building applications that integrate with a diverse set of data technologies. When you look at a data management problem you can identify and communicate the feasibility and tradeoffs of different solutions like Kafka, Redis, ClickHouse, SQLite, and even in-memory data structures. You may not be a data scientist, but you get excited about data analytics and answering challenging questions using data at scale.
- Test, Tools, and Build: You were a quality assurance engineer in a past life. You believe an engineer is only as effective as her environment, and that better living is possible through tooling. You're passionate about increasing development speed through techniques like continuous integration. You’ve managed complicated production applications through orchestration tools like Salt.
- Significant programming experience in Go, C++, or Rust
- Intermediate knowledge of HTTP and TCP
- Working knowledge of modern Unix/Linux development and runtime environments
- Experience designing and implementing distributed systems
- Strong ability to debug issues in complex systems
- Creative, open-minded problem solver
- Focus on clarity in written and verbal communication
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94115.