At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
Emerging Technologies & Incubation (ETI) is where new and bold products are built and released within Cloudflare. Rather than being constrained by the structures which make Cloudflare a massively successful business, we are able to leverage them to deliver entirely new tools and products to our customers. Cloudflare’s edge and network make it possible to solve problems at massive scale and efficiency which would be impossible for almost any other organization.
About The Role
Our core mission for Cloudflare Workers is to enable developers to do what they do best — build powerful applications — without having to think or worry about infrastructure, scaling, or performance. While running code at the edge enables us to handle the infrastructure part, there’s so much more that goes into enabling developers to do their jobs. Developer experience plays a critical role in the success of our platform and our developers, and is the focus of our team. We want to build a platform that’s accessible to as many developers as possible, easy to understand, and importantly, fun and delightful to use! Join a team of talented engineers that enable developers all around the world to build low-latency planet-scale applications for the Internet and the Web!
In this role, you will put yourself in the shoes of a developer, and use your deep understanding of software engineering, Web and Internet technologies to propose innovative technical solutions that create and improve the development experience on the Cloudflare Workers development platform.
What you'll do
As an experienced technical lead, you'll lead, guide, and mentor engineers and engineering teams. You will also help build a strong engineering culture focused on developer productivity, code quality, reliability, test coverage, and clean and robust architectural and API designs.
Performing activities towards our goal to make the Cloudflare platform accessible and productive for developers:
- Investigate development workflow improvements for application developers, propose and lead projects to implement them
- Create and improve development tools to support developer workflows
- Work on projects that span multiple development surfaces, including Web UIs, CLIs, build systems, CI/CD pipelines, and IDE/GitHub/GitLab integrations
- Research and establish architectural patterns that application developers can follow to build their solutions
- Converge existing tools and systems to simplify our product portfolio and increase quality and cohesion of the development experience
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Excited by the idea of helping application developers be successful at building great experiences for their end users
- Experience and passion for development tools, systems, libraries, frameworks, and workflows
- Experience building high scale systems or platforms
- Experience working on and leading software engineering initiatives that often span multiple teams or even organizations
- Experience (and love) for untangling and re-architecting complex distributed systems to improve efficiency, and simplify future development
- Ability to synthesize developer pain points into a smaller number of root causes, and establish a plan for addressing them
- Experience building reusable libraries, frameworks
- Experience using the Cloudflare Workers development platform, or other serverless application platforms
- Strong front-end and/or backend skills
- Experience contributing to or leading OSS software development
- Experience with large scale release engineering and management, A/B testing, or production system monitoring
- Public speaking or developer relations skills
- Experience with Go or Rust
Compensation may be adjusted depending on work location. For Colorado-based hires: Estimated annual salary of $192,000 - $234,000.
This role is eligible to participate in Cloudflare’s equity plan.
Cloudflare offers a complete package of benefits and programs to support you and your family. Our benefits programs can help you pay health care expenses, support caregiving, build capital for the future and make life a little easier and fun! The below is a description of our benefits for employees in the United States, and benefits may vary for employees based outside the U.S.
Health & Welfare Benefits
- Medical/Rx Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Commuter Spending Accounts
- Fertility & Family Forming Benefits
- On-demand mental health support and Employee Assistance Program
- Global Travel Medical Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life & Accident Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Stock Participation Plan
- Flexible paid time off covering vacation and sick leave
- Leave programs, including parental, pregnancy health, medical, and bereavement leave
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
18.104.22.168: We released 22.214.171.124 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.