At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the department
Cloudflare is looking for a Legal Program Manager to join Cloudflare’s growing legal team. This role reports to Cloudflare’s Associate General Counsel for Product & Intellectual Property (IP). This role is based out of Cloudflare’s Austin, TX or Washington, DC office.
The Product & IP team is the primary legal point of contact for Cloudflare’s product, engineering, research, and marketing organizations. As a Program Manager for the Product & IP team, you will help the team be accountable for the effective delivery of complex legal advice in a timely and efficient manner. You will create and tailor new ways of working for the team and you will always innovate in your approach and solution building. You will need to confidently use tools like JIRA and Confluence to manage deliverables.
The ideal candidate is flexible and comfortable in playing multiple roles (diplomat, negotiator, reporter, coach), leading multiple initiatives, and can manage change effectively. You will need to manage stakeholder expectations and facilitate prioritization for deliverables.
What you'll do
Product and IP Operations
- Serve as first point of contact to internal business units to answer inquiries and escalate as appropriate to senior legal colleagues
- Build, manage, and improve the Product & IP team’s processes and workflows, focusing on efficiency, scale, and optimal allocation of team resources (e.g., process automation/optimization, developing and maintaining self-help tools for clients)
- Assist in developing, monitoring, and reporting key performance indicators
- Provide project management for various projects and initiatives
- Assist in developing, managing, and tracking the team’s budget and billing
- Intake requests for new marketing promotions and liaison with outside counsel on an as-needed basis
- Manage and track invention disclosures
- Build and maintain the company’s patent and trademark trackers
- Assist with internal invention review committee matters
- Administer inventor recognition and reward program
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- BS/BA Degree
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in legal program operations
- Prior experience as an IP paralegal or legal operations manager at a high growth technology company is highly desired
- Experience with Jira or other project management solutions. Ability to effectively manage many projects simultaneously
- Analytical, process oriented, and strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally, with lawyers and non-lawyers, to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner
- Ability to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the workplace. Lead with empathy and understanding while embracing diverse points of view. Flexibility to adapt and thrive in a fast paced environment
- Understanding of law firm and vendor services as it relates to process development
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
126.96.36.199: We released 188.8.131.52 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.