At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
The Product Content team at Cloudflare creates content that is accessible, engaging, and complete to help customers achieve success. We shape the high-level content strategy and get our hands dirty authoring and editing. We make complicated things simple through crisp, clear content.
About the Role
The Director, Product Content is responsible for the strategy, scalability, and organization of our product documentation, in-product copy and support content. You will lead a team that builds successful product content in an agile software development environment. You will guide new product content through all stages of the product life cycle, from the identification of customer needs and product definition through development, launch, and sustainment. This role will nurture the development of a team of tech writers and content designers who are passionate about writing and serious about their careers in technical documentation. This is a highly cross-functional role in which you will be responsible for shaping our overall product content strategy, roadmap, and methods and practices for your team to support the achievement of company business goals.
This position requires you to be a self-starter with the ability to take ownership, work with tight timelines, handle various tasks simultaneously while maintaining a positive attitude. Great oral communication and written documentation skills are critical for this role in promoting ideas throughout the company.
What you’ll do
- Articulate the vision for our documentation across the company and executing the plans to make that vision a reality.
- Hire, develop, and retain extraordinary talent to scale product content and meet business goals.
- Prioritize tasks and lead our technical writing efforts. Manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Ensure our documentation is meeting the needs of our diverse customer base, optimizing content and structure for this audience.
- Propose structural and organizational improvements to the documentation set
- Edit, clarify and proofread documentation written by others.
- Implement best-in-class product content development processes to increase team velocity, quality, and accountability.
- Participate in the planning of documentation projects with engineering teams and product management so that both new and advanced users can easily find information relevant to their requirements, use cases, and environments.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge, and experience
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial-minded and thrives in a fast-paced and goal-driven environment. You have outstanding communication and collaboration skills and are able to work with a diverse group, get consensus, and drive the product documentation forward. You are execution-focused and emphasize getting things done while paying attention to important details. You have several years of experience leading product content teams at a SaaS company. You have a passion for building phenomenal product content and want to solve the problems of performance, security, and reliability of the Internet.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- 10+ years of technical writing experience, including team leadership and management
- 5+ years of experience building and managing technical writing teams
- Demonstrated ability to build, lead and develop a team of high-performing technical writers (direct reports): people want to work on your team again
- Experience working in an agile environment, preferably with both onsite and remote team members working in multiple time zones
- Proven track record shipping world-class technical content at scale in a highly dynamic environment
- Significant experience working in a fast-paced, high growth company
- Strong technical abilities. You are intimately familiar with modern software development practices used to build and deploy applications. You are capable of wading into the details but can also drive a 30k foot view.
- Experience building great user content; drives elegant, simple interactions
- Make complicated concepts simple. Experience authoring technical content for business customers and developers, and managing teams of technical writers doing so
- Tolerance for ambiguity, creativity in strategy and execution tactics, and always improving on the status quo
- Strong customer and stakeholder empathy. You must be not only the voice of the customer but at various times the voice of marketing, finance, engineering, support, and ops. You must be able to channel many points of view.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with installation and configuration of cloud infrastructure and services
- Experience using Git as a version management tool, including working with branches, creating pull requests, and resolving merge conflicts
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project : We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.