The Path Forward Return to Work program at Cloudflare is a 16 week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to women and men who have at least 5 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least two years to focus on caring for a child or other dependent. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply.
At Cloudflare, we are excited to be part of the Path Forward program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
Cloudflare offers flexibility that we know today’s workers need to be healthy and productive. During the Return to Work program, we offer returnees additional flexibility to make the on-ramp to paid work as smooth as possible.
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today, Cloudflare runs one of the world’s largest distributed networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month, which is nearly 10 percent of all Internet requests worldwide. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code.
Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies and nonprofits to small businesses and budding entrepreneurs. We are working to create a faster, more secure, and more reliable experience for anyone online and given the scale at which we operate, our mission is big. Our team is hard at work shaping the future of the Internet by solving some of its toughest challenges.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the department
Account Executives, Business Development Representatives, Solution Engineers, and Customer Success - all working together help our customers adopt Cloudflare and create great Internet-enabled experiences.
The sales team at Cloudflare helps customers solve real, technical problems while creating the revenue streams that help the company provide free service to millions in our community.
What you'll do
You are the technical lynchpin through the entire sales cycle - pre and post sales. You will work closely with our Enterprise prospects and customers to educate, empower, and ensure their success on the Cloudflare platform. Your technical expertise in Cloudflare’s global distributed network and technology will allow you to find best-fit solutions for prospects, to train and onboard new customers via video-conference or in person, through documentation, and to support the long-term success of the customer. As a subject matter expert on web/mobile security and performance, you are a trusted source for developing new firewall rules from log files, crafting performance caching and delivery strategies, and creating or repurposing internal tools and scripts for customers.
As a Solutions Engineer, you are the technical customer advocate within Cloudflare. To aid your customers, you will work closely with every team at Cloudflare, from Sales and Product, through to Engineering and Customer Support. Your goal of customer success should drive you through the entire organization as you seek out and create scalable solutions for your customer’s needs. Our Solutions Engineers come from a wide range of backgrounds: financial consulting, engineering, software development, product management, customer support & project delivery. We're serious about building a diverse team. When hiring we look for diversity of experience combined with genuine curiosity for our technology.
Ultimately, you are passionate about technology and have a knack for explaining complex technical concepts in easy-to-understand terms. You are self-driven, naturally curious, and an avid builder who is not afraid to get your hands dirty. You appreciate the diversity and challenge of working with customers, and look forward to helping them realize the full promise of Cloudflare. On the Solution Engineering team you will find a collaborative environment where everyone brings different strengths and jumps in to help each other.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- You can translate technical concepts and jargon for a wide variety of audiences: from systems engineers, to front-end developers, through to IT managers and C-levels in enterprise organizations.
- You want to be constantly learning new things & teaching what you've learnt to the wider team, through internal blog posts, team demos, or broader product training sessions.
- You have a knack for understanding problems & finding creative ways to solve them. Our product is ever-growing, and knowing how to identify which parts will solve a customer's particular problem is important. Solutions Engineers ("SEs", as we call them) are responsible for the technical sale of our Enterprise products, and so this is important.
- You understand how to manage a project, work to deadlines, and prioritize between competing demands.
- You can talk to the differences between TCP & UDP, and understand what kinds of applications may favor one over the other.
- You can describe the difference between authoritative DNS & recursive DNS.
- You have a solid understanding of HTTP, and a willingness to dive deeper into the quirks of clients & servers alike.
- You know why TLS (SSL) plays an increasingly important role on today's Internet, and how to extol its benefits to engineers & business owners alike.
- You understand the role of a firewall, the difference between L3, L4 & L7 firewalls, and that "ACL" doesn't mean Anterior Cruciate Ligament.
- You're not afraid of command-line tools, REST APIs, or becoming an expert at analyzing requests in the web inspector.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field. Reminder: this is not a strict requirement at all. Candidates from all walks of life are welcome.
- Previous experience in a sales or consulting role (note: doesn't have to be in tech)
- You've built a web application before, or contributed to an existing application in a meaningful way.
- You can describe the differences between CSRF, XSS and SQLi in detail, and Cloudflare's role in defending against them
- Understanding of, or experience with, regulatory requirements such a PCI DSS, HIPAA, and SOC-2
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.