Cloud Chamber is looking for a dynamic Lead Materials Artist to channel the energy and talents of our existing texture/materials team and lead them in giving depth to the world of BioShock. As an Art Lead at Cloud Chamber it is your role to help carry forward and nurture the artistic vision of our project. You're an authority in your craft and love sharing what you know with other artists, shaping and elevating them as people as well as their work. With your guidance, as a team, we will develop the lens through which our audience will experience the next BioShock.
- Lead a team of texture/material artists and provide guidance, feedback, and mentorship to ensure high-quality deliverables.
- Collaborate closely with the Art Director, and other leads, to establish the visual style and direction for textures and materials.
- Create high-quality textures and materials for a range of assets, including characters, environments, props.
- Develop and maintain a consistent and efficient PBR texture/material creation pipeline and workflows.
- Research and implement new techniques and technologies related to texture and material creation with the goal of continuous development and improvement.
- Collaborate with our Core Tech Team to ensure adherence to technical specifications and optimization requirements for real-time rendering engines.
- Work closely with other departments, such as concept art, modeling, and lighting, to achieve cohesive and visually stunning results.
- Review and provide constructive feedback on the work of team members, ensuring it meets quality standards and project requirements.
- Collaborate with production and scheduling teams to define realistic timelines and manage project priorities.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and advancements in texture/material creation and real-time rendering technologies.
- Maintain the values of Cloud Chamber.
- Foster a positive, proactive, and agile work environment that encourages innovation and collaboration.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- 7+ years of experience in AAA games.
- 2+ years of leadership experience where your direct reports feel supported and appreciate your guidance.
- Experience in managing Agile teams with Jira.
- Proven art team management skills with the ability to provide constructive, actionable feedback.
- Unreal 5 or 4 Experience preferred.
- Proven experience as a texture/material artist in the game or entertainment industry.
- Proficiency in industry-standard 2D and 3D software tools, such as Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Substance Painter, and Substance Designer.
- Excellent understanding of texture mapping, UV layout, and material creation techniques.
- Strong knowledge of real-time rendering engines (e.g., Unreal Engine, Unity) and their material systems.
- Familiarity with PBR (Physically Based Rendering) workflows and shader development.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong problem-solving and organizational abilities, with a keen eye for detail.
- Ability to multitask and meet project deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Highly detail-oriented, deadline-driven, and able to embrace change for a fast-growing organization.
- Uncompromising ethics and unwavering integrity.
- Champion of high standards, pushing for progress, embracing change, and challenging the status quo.
- Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts, Computer Animation, or a related field (or equivalent experience)
In order to apply for this role we ask that you submit a strong portfolio demonstrating expertise in creating high-quality textures and materials for various assets.
We are Cloud Chamber: We believe in the beauty and strength of diversity, in both the makeup of the studio and the nature of our thinking. Our focus on open communication and overall well-being allows each of us to strive for excellence in our work, and happiness in our lives.
We’re currently making the next BioShock. Our love for this iconic franchise is what brought us together. The thrill and responsibility of creating the next iteration of such a beloved game is what keeps us going.
If all of this sounds as exciting to you as it is to us we’d love to meet you. Join us in creating worlds that move people.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never use instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews. When emailing prospective employees we only use 2K.com accounts.