Cloud Chamber is looking for a talented and articulated (see what we did there?) Lead Gameplay Animator to manage and mentor our team of energetic gameplay animators. We need you to pilot the efforts of the animation team while maintaining the creative vision for the project. You are an expert in the fundamentals of traditional animation principles and how they are applied to video games.
You will work side by side with the Animation Director, Lead Tech Animator, and Production to push the limits of what is possible, carry forward the vision of the project, and build the culture for the animation department.
- Manage and mentor a team of animators in the development of high-end gameplay and AI animations.
- Develop the animation pipeline and workflows, with a continuous eye for improvement.
- Work with other department leads and animation leadership to plan for mocap sessions.
- Review dailies and lead review sessions with the animation team, giving constructive, actionable feedback.
- Actively collaborate with other disciplines to ensure animation goals are set, met, and completed in a timely manner.
- Work closely with Production to identify blocking issues, develop milestone roadmaps, participate in sprint planning and tasking, and delegate animation work.
- Share your own experience, best practices, and animation know-how to help the less experienced members of the team.
- Take on a small animation workload when time permits.
- Take an active role in the animation leadership circle, by sharing your voice and best practices to help guide the culture of the animation team. As well as updating the group on any new or outstanding issues.
- Participate in the hiring process for the department, including the creation of job roles and responsibilities.
- Establish on-boarding and team training for the animation team regarding animation related tools and processes, as well as Unreal Engine 5.
- Embrace and evangelize the Cloud Chamber values: Act with Kindness, Lead With Courage, Dare To Be Original and Creative, Stand For Unity, and Embrace Diversity.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications:
- Previous Lead, Team Lead, or coaching experience, managing an animation department.
- Shipped multiple AAA titles, ideally using Unreal or a comparable engine.
- Exceptional knowledge of how to create and maintain gameplay and AI systems as they pertain to video game animation.
- Animation graph and data integration experience.
- Experience working with Motion Capture data and pipelines.
- Experience with hand key facial animation and tools such as FaceFx.
- Experience structuring & maintaining animation processes such as rigging, or prototyping.
- A very strong understanding of character performance, form, gesture, and silhouette in regard to player character and AI.
- Excellent understanding of anatomy and caricature.
- Exceptional skill in animating the human bipedal figure, organic forms, quadrupedal, and mechanical objects.
- An exemplary understanding of traditional animation principles and how they support and enhance gameplay.
- Strong collaborative and flexible spirit.
We are Cloud Chamber: a collaborative team of inspired minds who create games together. We strive to make unique, entertaining, and thoughtful game experiences that engage the world.
We believe in the beauty and strength of diversity, in both the makeup of the studio and the nature of our thinking. Our focus on open communication and overall well-being allows each of us to strive for excellence in our work, and happiness in our lives.
We’re currently making the next BioShock. Our passion and love for this iconic franchise is what brought us together. The thrill and responsibility of creating the next iteration of such a beloved game is what keeps us going.
If all of this sounds as exciting to you as it is to us, we’d love to meet you. Join us in creating worlds that move people.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never use instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews. When emailing prospective employees, we only use 2K.com email accounts.