At Cloud Agronomics, our mission is to accelerate the adoption of sustainable agriculture in order to reduce emissions from the agriculture industry, restore global soils, and improve rural livelihoods. Powered by a breakthrough in remote sensing and machine learning, our AI solutions measure the impact that farming practices have on soil carbon and crop nutrients at scale, unlocking the path to net zero agriculture and a sustainable food supply chain. We give customers confidence in emission reductions on global farmland.
We are expanding our team by adding a Senior Data Scientist. The Senior Data Scientist will be responsible for researching and developing novel data-driven approaches to improve farm outcomes. They will leverage diverse geospatial data sources to architect deep learning models and pipelines, working closely with other Data Scientists, physical scientists, and product owners.
- Owns model iteration process for our carbon and nutrients products.
- Independently recommends and implements machine learning architecture and predictive algorithms at a high-quality level.
- Performs literature research in machine learning and topics related to our products, and implements learnings into machine learning models.
- Delivers timely, scientifically rigorous results to power our products.
- Multiple years experience working in machine learning, big data, statistical modeling, physical/computational science, or related areas.
- Understands theory of machine learning and predictive algorithms.
- Deep learning modeling skills - PyTorch preferred (or experience with Keras, TensorFlow, or other equivalent technology). Experience building neural network models from scratch.
- Demonstrated independence in research, and patience with the research cycle including inevitable trial and error.
- Strong Python coding skills. Understands OOP, encapsulation, knows major libraries related to science (numpy, scipy, pandas, etc.) and to data processing (pyspark, pandas, etc.).
- Understands the pitfalls of real world data. Ability to work with messy data.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate model outputs and results and explain why one model may be better than another.
- Interfaces well with technical peers to communicate findings and methodology.
- Experience with research traceability in ML. Versioned code, datasets, and other artifacts tied to model results in an organized and reproducible manner. Can set this up for their own undertakings.
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with remote sensing, satellite data, hyperspectral imagery, soil science, agriculture, ecology, etc.
- Data visualization skills suitable for discussing with non data scientists.
- Familiarity with Spark.
- Experience with software development life cycle.
- Background in the natural sciences or mathematics.
- Understanding of data collection best suited to make models generalizable to the real world.
You’ll love working at Cloud Agronomics because:
- We explore. We believe that exploring the world around us helps us find connections between disparate things and spurs innovation. You’ll have generous PTO to travel, rest, and explore the world around you.
- We invest in your life. We want to provide you with resources to meet your needs both in and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage and a kitchen with snacks and coffee to keep your mind sharp throughout the day.
- We want you to grow. We are a team that supports each other’s professional and intellectual growth. You’ll have access to regular opportunities to learn from teammates and invest in your professional development.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. Our team is our most valuable asset. We want everyone who works for us to feel fairly compensated for the impact they bring to our mission. The team member in this role can expect a starting salary in the range of $130,000-$170,000.
- Upon reopening of volunteer opportunities in our local community, we will organize ways to be part of our community.
About Cloud Agronomics
We have all seen the headlines of global corporations launching initiatives to reduce emissions across their value chains. Recently, carbon offsets from farmland have become a frontrunner for nature-based solutions to climate change - and for good reason. As farmland gains significant traction as a carbon sink, it is important to know how much carbon is really in the soil today - and how much there is in 2 years, 4 years, and so on.
The way the industry measures soil carbon and crop nutrients today is expensive, laborious, and prone to error because it requires physical sampling campaigns.
Using the first commercially viable and scalable technology to quantify carbon stocks in farmland, Cloud Agronomics can detect how much carbon is in the soil and how healthy crops are from the sky.
Cloud Agronomics is on a mission to tackle the barriers that are holding back rapid adoption of sustainable food production. With experience in remote sensing, agriculture, finance, and global business operations, our team is full of leaders who are committed to providing AI-powered solutions for agriculture, technology, and the environment all in one.
Through cutting-edge machine learning techniques and advanced spectroscopy, our team has built solutions that have seen a number of soil types, crop stages, and atmospheric conditions. Our two solutions, soil carbon and crop nutrient monitoring, give a scaled view of these measurements that are routinely taken on farmland. The goal is to make carbon sequestration and nutrient management on farmland easy and accessible, supporting the environment and rural communities.
We are thrilled by the traction we’ve had to date. Our technology will be operating in the US, Canada, Brazil, and Australia in 2021 - our customers are eager to use the results from our solutions to power land-management decisions and carbon offset verification.
Our team is inspired by the growth we have had - we are in multi-year contracts with the world’s largest ag retailers and prominent project developers for carbon farming across two continents. Our backers include SineWave Ventures, Alumni Ventures Group, and Collaborative Fund.
We sincerely believe that our team is taking part in a historic shift in the way we grow food, respond to climate change, and build resilient communities around the world. We hope you join our team to make an impact on the future of food.
Our mission is to bring scale, traceability, and sustainability to the global food supply chain.
Our goal is to build an innovative, diverse team that is committed to this mission and demonstrates behaviors that are consistent with our company’s core values: passion, curiosity, integrity, and perseverance. We foster an environment that thrives on constructive collaboration in order to solve the problems we face today to create a better tomorrow.
We look forward to meeting you!