Product Development Technician
Full Time/Exempt (On-site)
About this role:
In this on-stie role, you’ll be an integral part of our prototyping process, assisting with execution of planned, hands-on experiments each day that will propel our efforts to create tastier products using plant-based ingredients.
Responsibilities (on-site, no remote option):
Kitchen and Lab duties: 80% of time
- Execute daily prototyping experiments for plant-based dairy product
- Execute preparation of the ingredients needed for prototyping
- Collect, evaluate, perform measurements and document samples at designated time points
- Produce and track prototype replicates
- Prepare and ship samples for analytical testing
- Work with other teams and team members on cross-functional projects
- Use and maintain pH meters, blenders, mixers and other kitchen and laboratory equipment
- Wash and sanitize kitchen and laboratory equipment, dishes, workstation surfaces and prototype storage areas
- Ability to move ingredient boxes and bags weighing 30 lbs within lab and warehouse
Product development documentation and support: 20% of time
- Prototyping data entry and material processing notes
- Sample maintenance and prototyping inventory records
- Assist with set up and data collection for sensory evaluation
- Participation in project presentations and reports
- Participate in set up for internal and external prototype tasting events
Education and Experience:
- Experience in food preparation, food safety, processing, and proper food handling
- Effective written and verbal communication skills even in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and project management skills including the ability to accurately enter data and document processing information
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- High tolerance for ambiguity and ability to navigate through challenges of a fast-paced startup environment
- Ability to follow or document processes based on SOPs
Nice to have, but not required…
- Experience in dairy or vegan cheese making and processing
- Understanding of culinary science
- Work experience in a commercial kitchen or food manufacturing facility, with understanding of routine product development tasks and quality checks
- Exposure to or technical hands-on experience in fermentation, dairy science, biochemistry, sensory, or food analysis
- Exposure to research and work in food product development setting
- Experience in a QA/QC setting
- Strong drive to learn with an open mind and try new things
- Excitement for food, natural ingredients, cooking techniques, ingredient preparation processes, and kitchen tools
- Ability to adapt to fast changing environments and processes
- Methodical, detail-oriented, responsive, accountable, affable
About the job
Climax Foods is on a mission to revolutionize the way we eat.
We’re bringing together the brightest minds in data science and food science to replace animals with more efficient ways of transforming plants into the foods we love. Using sophisticated data science and machine learning methods, we are unlocking the entire plant kingdom, reaching the pinnacle of taste, texture, and nutrition.
Our team marries years of experience in inventing and productionizing cutting-edge machine learning and data science tools at companies like Google and SpaceX with operational excellence leading plant-based food companies from the early R&D stage to billion dollar valuations like Impossible Foods and JUST.
Climax Foods is backed by mission-aligned investors who bring strategic value allowing us to scale quickly to meet the urgent need for a more sustainable and safe food system, without sacrificing the culturally rich experience of delicious food.
Working at Climax Foods:
We believe in the power of data. Not only in how we are reinventing food, but also in how we work together, hire, and recruit. We put people first. The data is clear that a culture of belonging through inclusive and equitable policies, practices, and structures leads to the most innovative teams. We welcome applications from individuals from every unique background. We also believe that compensating fairly is critical to making our company sustainable, equitable, and inclusive. In addition to salary and benefits, you will also own equity in the company you are growing.
- Competitive salary
- 401(k) plan and company match!
- Premium medical and dental insurance
- Generous vacation and paid time-off policy
- Parent-friendly environment
- Lab and office facilities have been optimized for those with disabilities
- Free gym membership
- HQ in a bustling neighborhood and collaborative environment in Berkeley, CA
- Other great benefits — all driven by our continuously evolving research on creating maximally inclusive, equitable, innovative, and thriving teams