$85k - $125k dependent on education and experience
About this role:
As a Textural Scientist, you will work with a team of dedicated scientists to understand the broad range of textural properties that can be gained using plant-based ingredients. You will use and develop advanced rheological techniques and materials characterization to pair quantitative and qualitative metrics. This is an in-person role in Berkeley, California.
- Propose, design, and execute original experiments relying on existing research and personal experience
- Design experiments toward assigning rheological metrics to sensory attributes in texture.
- Define rheological metrics for the process engineering team and scale up.
- Develop new technology to achieve great texture in various plant-based foods
- Collaborate with R&D and Product development teams to deliver prototypes
- Collaborate with data scientists and develop data for data science pipelines
- Work closely with Product and Business teams to understand and improve the prototypes
- Provide strategic input for Climax’s mid- and long-term goals from a product development standpoint
- Provide colleagues with continuous feedback and data in their various specialization areas
- Organize and ensure the quality of the documentation necessary for protecting intellectual property.
- Keep informed on innovations in the field
- Lead and mentor more junior teammates
Education and Experience:
- Motivated and driven to improve the food system.
- Masters, or equivalent industry experience ( PhD preferred) in: Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related fields.
- Expertise in one or more of the following: Protein, polysaccharide or other food-related materials' interactions; structuring of soft materials; soft and bio-materials testing/characterization; hydrogels; generation of food texture through ingredient selection and modification.
- Consistent track record and desire to work at the bench.
- Ability to gather, organize, and interpret complex experimental data.
- Strategic and conceptual thinking to help guide long term strategies
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to think out of the box
- Strong communication and presentation skills for internal and external meetings
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally and network (internally & externally)
- Abilities to work effectively with diverse and dynamic teams.
- Ability to handle ambiguity, including the evolving objectives and approaches of an innovative company
- Useful skills include: Texture analysis, rheology, tribology, thermal analysis, classic food science testing, knowledge of proteins, polysaccharide, data science, and other ingredient behavior, and prototyping.
- Deep understanding of rheology, including non-linear rheology (Separate motor transducer), transient rheology, and experience working with soft matter samples.
- Coding competency and a familiarity with Benchling, Python, Jupyter Notebooks, or similar data management tools.
If you don’t check all of the boxes, but still think you’re the right fit for the role, let us know why. We understand that experience is acquired in many ways that may not come through on a CV. Tell us about yourself in your cover letter. We read them all.
About the job:
Climax Foods is on a mission to revolutionize the way we eat.
We’re bringing together the brightest minds from a broad range of scientific backgrounds to replace animals with more efficient ways of transforming plants into the foods we love. Using sophisticated data science and machine learning methods, we are unlocking the entire plant kingdom, reaching the pinnacle of taste, texture, and nutrition.
Our team marries years of experience in inventing and productionizing cutting-edge machine learning and data science tools at companies like Google and SpaceX with operational excellence leading plant-based food companies from the early R&D stage to billion dollar valuations like Impossible Foods and JUST.
Climax Foods is backed by mission-aligned investors who bring strategic value allowing us to scale quickly to meet the urgent need for a more sustainable and safe food system, without sacrificing the culturally rich experience of delicious food.
Working at Climax Foods:
We believe in the power of data. Not only in how we are reinventing food, but also in how we work together, hire, and recruit. We put people first. The data is clear that a culture of belonging through inclusive and equitable policies, practices, and structures leads to the most innovative teams. We welcome applications from individuals from every unique background. We also believe that compensating fairly is critical to making our company sustainable, equitable, and inclusive. In addition to salary and benefits, you will also own equity in the company you are building.
- Competitive salary
- 401(k) plan and company match!
- Premium medical and dental insurance
- Generous vacation and paid time-off policy
- Parent-friendly environment
- Lab and office facilities have been optimized for those with disabilities
- Free gym membership
- HQ in a bustling neighborhood and collaborative environment in Berkeley, CA
Other great benefits — all driven by our continuously evolving research on creating maximally inclusive, equitable, innovative, and thriving teams.