Lab Operations/Lab Manager
About the job
Climax Foods is on a mission to revolutionize the way we eat.
We’re bringing together the brightest minds in data science and food science to replace animals with more efficient ways of transforming plants into the foods we love. Using sophisticated data science and machine learning methods, we are unlocking the entire plant kingdom, reaching the pinnacle of taste, texture, and nutrition.
Our team marries years of experience in inventing and productionizing cutting-edge machine learning and data science tools at companies like Google and SpaceX with operational excellence leading plant-based food companies from the early R&D stage to billion dollar valuations like Impossible Foods and JUST.
Climax Foods is backed by mission-aligned investors who bring strategic value allowing us to scale quickly to meet the urgent need for a more sustainable and safe food system, without sacrificing the culturally rich experience of delicious food.
About this role:
As the Lab Manager, you will be an integral part of our inventory, purchasing process, safety, and general operation. Coordinating vendor communications and ensuring accounts are in good standing with new and established partners will be part of your responsibility. You will gather supplies and equipment price quotes and also be available to accept deliveries. Your contributions will enable us to work seamlessly in an environment where scientists have access to supplies and equipment that accelerate our discovery for tastier plant-based products.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in related field preferred and least 3 years of lab management and scientific purchasing experience in an academic or industry lab setting
- Ability and drive to solve practical problems while adapting to new situations where limited standard processes exist
- Effectively present pricing or product specifications and respond to questions from internal managers and external vendors
- Update and track chemical inventory; ensure chemicals are properly stored
- Coordinate safe hazardous waste removal
- Strong organizational and project management skills including the ability to track and manage shipments and payments
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business inquiries including technical RFQ/RFP
- Effective written and verbal communication skills even in a fast-paced environment
- Research, advise, and assist scientists in the selection of supplies and equipment; place purchase orders through Quartzy and with internal accounting
- Conduct research as necessary to locate sources for supplies
- Communicate with vendors to obtain information on materials, such as price, availability, and delivery schedule
- Work with vendors on transportation of goods into lab and office; be present to accept and verify deliveries
- Track shipping information and provide updates to team members when needed
- Identify defective or unacceptable materials and take corrective action
- Review invoices for payment and communicate with accounting team for fulfillment
- Assists with problem solving i.e. dealing with incorrect invoicing, material quality, and shipping schedules
- Assist with equipment warranty inquiries and scheduling or tracking annual preventive maintenance
- Ensure safe working environment, identify chemical safety concerns, provide appropriate PPE as needed
- Provide team safety demonstrations and write SOPs for chemical handling and scientific equipment
- Produce training documentation for city, county and state requirements
- Execute instructions provided in written, oral, and diagram form
- Maintain consistent and accurate records
- Ability to move 30lbs
- Methodical, exceptionally organized, detail-oriented, timely, accountable, affable, collaborative team player
- Strong drive to learn with an open mind and try new things
- Ability to adapt to changing environments and processes
- Curiosity for food, cooking, plant-based alternatives, and natural ingredients
- Open and responsive to change
Working at Climax Foods:
We believe in the power of data. Not only in how we are reinventing food, but also in how we work together, hire, and recruit. We put people first. The data is clear that a culture of belonging through inclusive and equitable policies, practices, and structures leads to the most innovative teams. We welcome applications from individuals from every unique background. We also believe that compensating fairly is critical to making our company sustainable, equitable, and inclusive. In addition to salary and benefits, you will also own equity in the company you are growing.
- Competitive salary
- 401(k) plan and company match!
- Premium medical and dental insurance
- Generous vacation and paid time-off policy
- Parent-friendly environment
- Lab and office facilities have been optimized for those with disabilities
- Free gym membership
- HQ in a bustling neighborhood and collaborative environment in Berkeley, CA
- Other great benefits — all driven by our continuously evolving research on creating maximally inclusive, equitable, innovative, and thriving teams