The Front End Developer will focus on building applications and systems to support our players, coaches and front office. The position will collaborate with Baseball Operations personnel, along with colleagues and peers in Information Systems, to rapidly deliver working software, from ideation to delivery, break/fix and everything in between.
This role will report to the Manager, Front End Development in our Information Systems department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF BASEBALL SYSTEMS
- Work closely with Baseball Operations and Information Systems departments to design, develop, and improve new and existing baseball applications
- Create tests and documentation for bug fixes and new application features/functions
- Design and develop dashboards and various analytical tools to directly support front office and field personnel
- Ensure technical feasibility of user interface and user experience designs
- Build and/or support mobile-friendly user interfaces and experiences
- Build and/or support web services and business-layer applications that speak to both back end databases and front–end interfaces
- Collaborate with other teammates and stakeholders
SUPPORT OF BASEBALL SYSTEMS
- Provide development support and guidance to Baseball Operations power users and general support to all Baseball
Ops front-office and field personnel, as needed
- Examine and where appropriate, prototype new technologies in the pursuit of creating competitive advantages through software, applications and tools; considers future requirements and possibilities
- Work closely with Data Architects and Infrastructure/Operations resources on the Information Systems team to ensure secure, scalable and high-performing applications
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field is preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in software development in a web-based development environment
- Experience in consuming Service Oriented Architectures is preferred
- Experience with Tableau a plus Experience with Node.js a plus
- Experience working with baseball data or delivering sports analysis tools and/or applications is a plus
- Extensive general knowledge and experience with computer system hardware, networks, operating systems and business applications software
- Knowledge of Microsoft SQL server database design, programming and access methods is a plus
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly self-motivated
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as necessary.
- Reads, speaks, comprehends and communicates English effectively in all communications.
- Represents the Cleveland Indians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationship with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act according to the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality.
- Ability to walk, sit or stand for an entire shift.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to move throughout all areas and levels of the Ballpark.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
- Occasional physical activity such as lifting and carrying boxes up to 25lbs.