The Cleveland Indians are seeking a data scientist to join the team’s Baseball Research and Development group. The data scientist will use their machine learning expertise and the Indians proprietary data to develop statistical and machine learning models that support baseball operations decisions across all facets of the organization. This position will work closely with other members of the R&D department as well as key stakeholders across the organization to design and build cutting edge models and tools that help the Indians stay ahead of the competition. The ideal candidate will possess experience working with large data sets and advanced machine-learning models. Strong applicants will demonstrate curiosity, creativity, and the ability to learn new concepts.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Research, design, test, and deploy machine learning models to support all aspects of Baseball Operations
- Work with high-dimensional spatio-temporal data and other large data sets
- Share technical expertise with other members of department; communicate findings to Baseball Operations staff
- Maintain an understanding of emerging data science tools and research, as well as potential new data sources and technology options
Role Requirements and Preferences
Education & Experience Requirements
- Advanced degree and/or demonstrated work experience in a quantitative field (i.e. computer science, statistics, engineering, mathematics)
- Experience with a variety of modeling and statistical techniques, such as neural nets, deep learning, support vector machines, gradient boosting, adversarial learning, and computer vision
- Expertise with statistical programming languages (e.g. R, Python)
- Proficiency in a database language (e.g. SQL)
- Experience with one or more ML libraries such as Tensorflow, Keras, scikit-learn, Theano, Spark MLib, H2O
- Experience creating data visualizations with tools such as ggplot, d3.js, Matplotlib and/or Tableau
- Experience working with baseball data
- Experience with computer vision, particularly image segmentation, object detection, and tracking algorithms
- Reads, speaks, comprehends and communicates English effectively in all communications.
- Represents the Cleveland Indians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationship with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act according to the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality.
- Ability to walk, sit or stand for an entire shift.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to move throughout all areas and levels of the Ballpark.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
- Occasional physical activity such as lifting and carrying boxes up to 25lbs.