Working as part of a multi-disciplinary performance team, the Director of Nutrition, will lead and implement a world class, evidence based nutritional philosophy within the Cleveland Indians organization. Primary responsibilities will include: translating the latest scientific research into practical sports nutrition recommendations, processes and policies. Director will also serve as Major League Dietitian and lead the day-to-day organization of meals/catering, snacks, hydration & supplementation, in order to enhance the performance of the Cleveland Indians players. Additionally, they will lead the delivery of individual and group/team nutrition counseling and education, track and document outcomes of nutrition services, support kitchen staff, and maintain professional competency and skills required for professional practice.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Food / Hydration Services:
- In conjunction with kitchen staff, coordinate and provide nutritional and hydration guidance for all meals and menus at ‘home’ (both in Major League clubhouse and AZ Spring training facility), to support high performance of major league players.
- Align catering, snacks & hydration for road games including the visiting clubhouse, team hotel and team charter with nutrition philosophy.
- Develop strong working relationships with club house managers (both home & away team), stadium catering staff, hotel chefs and catering companies to provide optimal food and hydration service solutions, in-line with nutritional philosophy.
Individual Athlete Consultation:
- Contribute to multi-disciplinary performance team to align toward fundamental goals
- Assess and analyze individual player dietary practices and needs, including but not limited to:
- Optimal nutritional support for athletic training, performance & recovery from exercise.
- Macro- and micro- nutrient needs or deficiencies.
- Maintenance of optimal body composition for health & athletic performance.
- Optimal nutritional support for rehabilitation of injured or ill athletes.
- Medical nutrition therapy as required. Such as food allergies, micronutrient deficiency, GI disturbances etc.
- Cultural, religious or ethical nutritional choices.
- Counsel athletes on how to achieve nutritional goals, based on evidence based assessments.
- Develop personalized meal plans based on athlete’s individual needs/goals.
- Facilitate individual players’ off-season meal services including alignment of personal chefs/caterers.
- Develop and deliver nutrition and hydration educational sessions to players in 1-on-1, small group and team settings.
- Develop documentation and signage
- Assist in the professional development of the staff (including kitchen/ clubhouse staff, medical, S&C, fundamental coaches etc.) as it relates to nutrition, hydration and performance.
- Facilitate cooking classes and shopping education to players in order to improve nutrition away from ballpark.
- Develop & implement objective athlete monitoring systems as they pertain to nutrition and body composition, including but not limited to:
- Measure, track and analyze body composition of Major League players.
- Record and manage hydration status (USG).
- Perform sweat testing analysis.
- In conjunction with multi-disciplinary performance team, set individual player guidelines and goals based on objective data collection/analysis.
- Develop effective communication strategies, including reports and visualizations, in order to present information on player needs and progress to: players, performance staff, coaches and front office personnel.
- Research nutritional supplements for legality, safety, quality, and efficacy and recommend those which can support major league player performance and recovery/rehabilitation.
- Monitor and track major league athlete’s use of appropriate supplementation based on NSF Certified for Sport guidelines.
- Proficient understanding of MLB policies for supplements, hydration and sports foods.
- Lead and mentor a team of dietitians, chefs and kitchen staff to execute the nutritional philosophy within the Cleveland Indians organization.
- Train and lead, interns and students to assist with the implementation of performance nutrition objectives and outcomes.
- Manage all budgets related to meals, snacks, hydration and supplements of major league team.
- Ensure that applicable information, materials and services are communicated to relevant stake holders, including front office and finance department.
- In conjunction with business department, research and engage potential partnerships with nutritional resources suppliers.
- 10 days of travel per month during season.
- 5 days of travel per month in the off season
Desired Characteristics / Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in clinical nutrition, food and nutrition, food science, sports nutrition or related expertise required.
- Registered Dietitian (RD) required
- Master's degree in nutrition, food science, or exercise physiology preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Sports Dietitian within a professional, private, or collegiate program.
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics preferred (CSSD).
- Knowledge of food service quality and safety practices.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and counseling skills.
- Bilingual (Spanish) desirable