Looking to do work that matters?
We get it – it’s why most people come to Cleo. Together we’re ﬁghting for the world’s ﬁnancial health, building an AI that helps you make the best money decisions from day one. We’ve helped 4 million+ people so far with personalised insights and a voice you don’t expect in FinTech. But it’s time to do more.
As we enter the next phase, we’re looking for more improvisers, data geeks and grown ups who want to own their work and create meaningful change.
We’re looking for a Head of Design to lead and grow our Product Design team - overseeing Cleo's Product Designers, User Researchers and UX Copywriters. The team will soon be about 20 strong, so great people management skills are a must for the role. There are existing Team Leads within all 3 areas, but with room to add more too.
It’s a close-knit team with ambitions to change how people relate to their money. To help them, we’re looking to you to build a design culture from the ground up. One that designers everywhere will recognize as not just a great place to work, but as a place to come and make difference.
At the forefront of design
As a chat-ﬁrst product, we're moving through uncharted territory. Everyday there’s new challenges around chat UI, brand, ToV and applied machine learning that you can't just look up the answer to - across native app and Messenger platforms. To ensure we can keep iterating quickly, we need a maintainable and scalable design system that’s built for change, and won't put a ceiling on creativity. And of course, is in service of solving real money problems for real people.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading our Design chapter - facilitating team meetings, design critiques and workshops. Ensuring that our designs are always customer-centric and do good for our users.
- Collaborating with our VP of Product to enable our Product squads to deliver great work at speed.
- Ensuring design thinking is front-of-mind throughout the product development process
- Coaching and upskilling our Product Designers, Researchers and UX Copywriters
- Hiring for the Design and Research team, working with our Talent function to ensure our interview processes are thorough and best-in-class.
- Representing Cleo at industry events
- Collaborating with our marketing team on shared design challenges
What we’re looking for
- An innovator: you enjoy working on brand new design challenges and are happy working in a startup environment at pace.
- Empathetic: You’re someone who cares deeply about understanding other humans and their relationships with money, in all their complex forms. You’re also a great leader, you truly care about the wellbeing of your team and getting the best out of people.
- Commercially-minded: You understand our competitive landscape and know how to keep us on top. You understand how to work in an Agile environment and can deploy features quickly and improve them iteratively rather than taking a long time over something 100% perfect.
- Data driven: You make strategic decisions backed by data and evidence, not just a gut feel.
- User-centric: You’re passionate about our mission to radically improve our users' relationship with money.
You ideally have:
- You’ve got a great background in Product Design and you’re a user research evangelist. Multiple years of experience in product design, you’ve worked for highly-regarded Product-led companies/agencies with at least some experience heading up a Design function
- Great Leadership skills - it is not only important to build an excellent Design team, but you also need to build a strong relationship with the Product team more broadly, the Engineering team and our VP of Engineering & Data too. You need to understand what our users want, what is viable for the business and, what is technically viable
- Exceptional communication skills, we are improving processes as we scale, so you’ll need to be great at establishing clarity and building structure for everyone.
What do you get for all your hard work?
- An above market compensation package (Base + Equity). We're prepared to pay for the very best
- Work at one of the fastest growing tech startups anywhere in the world who are backed by top VC ﬁrm, Balderton
- The team is exceptional. You'll get to work with brilliantly forward-thinking and dedicated individuals every day
- Our mission is standout. We want to radically improve everyone’s relationship with We're not maximising the time consumers spend in a feed, getting fast food delivered, or building an incrementally better bank. We're changing an industry in a visceral way, which you get to see every day in our customer feedback
We are committed to making Cleo a more diverse and inclusive workplace. We are making continuous changes in order to make sure that all voices, especially those of minorities are heard, supported and celebrated. Our work doesn't stop at hiring, and we are providing every employee with training, support and development throughout their Cleo career, alongside training specific to inclusivity.