Vehicle Dynamics Applications Controls Engineer
Clearmotion is a dynamic company looking to significantly impact the automotive industry by providing a state of the art implementation of active suspension. Its workforce is strongly motivated by delivery and passion for the product.
We are looking for a controls and calibration engineer to join our Vehicle Dynamics and Controls team working directly to support Applications Programs for the auto industry. The role will be based in our Greater Boston Head Office in Woburn, but will require an eagerness to travel throughout the US and, less frequently, the rest of the world. The role will require periodic location in our Michigan and UK proving ground based offices
You will be participating in solving challenging problems in a complex control system that includes hydraulics, electronics, and mechanical components to control vehicle ride and handling for high-end customer applications.
A significant part of the role will be to support attribute engineering in vehicle preparation for customer programs and customer presentation events.
As an Applications Controls engineer, you will develop core algorithms for our “digital ride” control system, adhering to a structured attribute driven approach to modeling.
- Adapt and develop algorithms, architecture and control logic for electro-hydraulic actuators
- Contribute to strategy/algorithm design reviews with team members in the UK and the US
- Conduct extensive in-field development and calibration of high-end prototype vehicles
- Analyse and process test data
- Support attribute specification and target setting
- Test and tune control loops - including parameter calibration - at vehicle level
- Implement and adhere to calibration and test version control, management and documentation
Lead or support attribute demonstration events and customer programs
Desired Skills & Experience
Ideally, you should:
- Have an engineering background in control theory, algorithms, feedback systems
- Be familiar with in-vehicle algorithm development
- Be able to use a laptop in a vehicle being subject to handling maneuvers
- Have at least BS or equivalent in mechanical, electrical, software or similar engineering
- Have 2-5 years’ experience in controls development and/or system testing
- Have 2-3 years' experience wihtin the automotive industry
- Have strong experience with MATLAB/Simulink
- Have good experience in the use of an automotive calibration toolset - ideally CANape
- Be driven, self-motivated and focussed on the company goal of delivering excellence and innovation to an established industry
Travel is primarily local within the Michigan area during the business day, although travel to the Boston Headquarters is expected, with some out-of-area and possible out-of-country travel.
We are an equal opportunity employer; applicants, employees, and former employees are protected from employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, and genetic information (including family medical history), or any other characteristic protected by law.
We offer growth opportunities for motivated professionals and a great compensation package including, dental insurance, medical insurance, unlimited vacation and sick time and more! Visit our website at ClearMotion.com to learn more!