If you're interested in humbly defining the future of a top tier automotive technology company as its first ever dedicated Head of Human Resources (or whatever you decide to call the function), then we should definitely talk. We will most likely be interested in talking to you if you have a solid background and strong career progression in human resources at either a top tier engineering or technology company, professional services firm or Motorsports operation. While we realize that experience matters, we're more focused on your exposure to the HR operations in these environments, your curiosity to understand our products and operations, your judgement, and your demonstrated ability to influence outcomes.
In this critical role we expect you to play a key part in driving the development of a team environment centered around Trust, Action, Curiosity, and Design. To do that, we think that you'll be required to demonstrate the ability to kill it in these 5 areas:
World-class Process Design — Much like a quality assurance team in motorsports, we expect HR to be a masterful process design house. One key to accurately measuring critical management processes is excellent process design and control. Without this we’re a joke and we expect you to have experience working with or establishing best in class HR processes and tools.
True Diplomacy — Nobody likes a tattle tale and there is no way for an HR organization to be effective if the management team doesn’t implicitly trust it. Trust is also our company's #1 value. Managers must believe that we’re here to help them improve rather than police them. We genuinely want to help the managers and could care less about getting credit for identifying problems. You'll be expected to work directly with the managers to get quality up and only escalate to the SVP of Finance and the CEO when necessary. If you hoard knowledge, make power plays, or play politics, you are not likely to be effective.
Industry knowledge — Compensation, benefits, best recruiting practices, et al are all fast moving targets. You'll need to be deeply networked in the industry and stay abreast of all the latest developments in all of these areas.
Intellectual Heft to be the Co-founders' and the SVP of Finance's Most Trusted Advisor — None of the other skills matter if the we do not fully back the HR organization in holding the managers to a high quality standard. In order for this to happen, we must trust you and your group’s thinking and judgment.
Understanding of Things Unspoken — When management quality starts to break down in a company, nobody says anything about it, but super perceptive people can tell that the company is slipping. We'll need you to be able to perceive this, call it out and address it with our managers right away.
You'll be responsible for building a team that helps us answer these questions and any others that you'll come up with as you grow into the role and identify other needs:
Recruiting and Hiring
- Do we sharply understand the skills and talents required to succeed in every open position?
- Are our interviewers well prepared?
- Do our managers and employees do an effective job of selling ClearMotion and our goals to prospective employees?
- Do interviewers arrive on time?
- Do managers and recruiters follow up with candidates in a timely fashion?
- Do we compete effectively for talent against the best companies?
- Do we compensate fairly?
- Do our benefits make sense for your company demographics?
- How do our salary and stock option packages compare to the companies that we compete with for talent?
- How well do our performance rankings correspond to our compensation practices?
Training and Integration
- When we hire an employee how long does it take them to become productive from the perspective of the employee, her peers, and her manager?
- Shortly after joining, how well does someone understand what’s expected of him and her?
- Do our managers give consistent, clear feedback to their employees?
- What is the quality of our company’s written performance reviews?
- Did all of our employees receive their reviews on time?
- Do we effectively manage poor performers?
- Do our employees believe in the mission and live the values of the company?
- Does the team enjoy coming to work every day?
- Do we have any employees who are actively disengaged?
- Do our employees clearly understand what’s expected of them?
- Do our employees stay a long time or do they quit faster than normal?
- Why would team members quit?
- Does everyone on the team trust each other?
We think we've done "ok" at answering and addressing these questions and issues up to date and the complexity is increasing, so this is why we are looking for the ideal person for this role. With the trust of our investors and customers we're gearing up for significant growth across all areas of the team including operations in the UK and California and if you think that you have what it takes to help our team achieve all of its goals, let's talk.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer; applicants, employees and former employees are protected from employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, and genetic information (including family medical history), or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please take the time to let us know how you would contribute to our environment and our customers’ success by emailing your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the position in the subject line. Thank you!
We offer growth opportunities for motivated professionals and a great compensation package including, dental insurance, medical insurance, unlimited vacation and sick time and more! Visit our website at ClearMotion.com to learn more!