Principal Mechanical Engineer
ClearMotion is launching a groundbreaking new technology for the automotive industry – a high bandwidth active suspension system. We have high demand for our product from both suppliers and OEMs. ClearMotion is currently looking for a talented Principal Mechanical Engineer to join the product development team focused on taking the CM1 Hydrostatic Module (HSM), a core sub-system of the CM1 product, into series production.
What we can offer you?
In addition to a competitive Salary we have a comprehensive health plan with all premiums covered for you and your dependents. We provide life insurance including income protection and critical illness cover alongside an unlimited paid holiday plan so that you can make the most of your time away from work
We promise to do our best to make being part of the team the ultimate benefit with cutting edge technologies to work on and an environment centred on transparency, trust, action, curiosity, independence and design.
This environment is fostered with various ancillary benefits such as a reimbursement for pre-approved team activities, our annual team retreat, snacks & drinks, daily lunch, summer barbecues and other events.
- Manage and lead a mechanical development team to ensure the on-time development of reliable products that are cost effective, meet requirements, and maintain company standards.
- Provide technical and strategic guidance to direct team and project towards achieving internal and external objectives.
- Utilize Mechanical Engineering background to lead and solve challenging problems while coupling hydro-mechanical systems knowledge contributing to the development of ClearMotion’s Hydrostatic Module.
- Own multiple critical aspects of the assembly and deliver designs that meet our most challenging requirements of integration space within vehicle environment, performance, reliability and cost.
- Drive workstreams involving internal stakeholders and strategic partners to progress HSM maturity through our product development process.
- Lead design reviews focused on concept designs showing verification through analysis, simulation, and lab/bench testing.
- Develop validation plans based on analysis, simulation and FMEA to mitigate potential risks.
- Collaborate cross functionally to convert system requirements into hydraulic, mechanical and electrical design requirements providing the engineering team validation and verification targets.
- Create, review and release drawings at both the component and assembly level where GD&T fundamentals, tolerance stack analysis, FMEA, design for manufacturing and assembly are considered.
- Participate in improving the product development strategy.
- 8+ years of experience developing mechanical and/or hydro-mechanical systems in the automotive industry, preferably Tier 1 or Tier 2 supplier.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- Proficiency using Solidworks and Solidworks EPDM (or similar).
- Ability to perform and apply FEA (Ansys preferred) as a tool within the product development process.
- Demonstrate understanding and working knowledge of DFMEA and DVP&R within the product development process
- Familiar with APQP processes for developing products intended for serial production
- Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment
- Excellent communication and collaborative experience with global cross functional teams.
- Ability to drive consensus at levels (parallel, upwards, and downwards) in a complex organization, and drive execution based on decision.
- Can show proven success in an atmosphere with varying amounts of ambiguity, but still able to set and deliver on plans with proven processes.
- Willingness and ability to travel, as necessary.
- Ability to influence internal and external technical experts and decision-makers
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer; applicants, employees and former employees are protected from employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, and genetic information (including family medical history), or any other characteristic protected by law.