ClearMotion is launching a groundbreaking new technology for the automotive industry – a high bandwidth active suspension system. Using a unique mixture of both hardware and software, ClearMotion is building a next-generation connected product that collects and uses crowdsourced road data to improve the system with time.
We are looking for a controls engineer to join our talented algorithm team to help contribute in developing our innovative control systems. You will be participating in solving challenging problems in a complex intelligent control system that includes hydraulics, electronics, and mechanical components for high-end customer applications. The control system also incorporates cloud-based, vision-based, and artificial intelligence technologies.
Your tasks will include developing, simulating, testing, and analyzing control software both at the component and system level; creating and developing innovative algorithms within our control system; and testing, analysing and developing subsystems in the vehicle to deliver appropriate vehicle level attributes and system performance.
As controls engineer, you will develop core algorithms for our “digital ride” control system. This role is more geared towards research and development, and although there are some clear objectives, this role will require an individual who is passionate, and capable of being semi-autonomous in getting work done.
Controls Engineer Essential Functions
- Develop next generation control software for our electrohydraulic actuators
- Conceive, simulate, implement, and test novel vehicle dynamics algorithms
- Conduct extensive field testing on high-end prototype vehicles (mules)
- Test and tune real-time, and predictive control loops - including parameter calibration - at vehicle level.
- Contribute to strategy/algorithm design reviews with team members.
- Primary development will occur in Matlab/Simulink and similar tools
- Data processing and analysis
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is mainly sedentary but does require standing, walking, bending, and carrying.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This position regularly requires long hours and occasional weekend work is expected.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and possible out-of-country travel may be expected.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, or similar technical discipline.
- Engineering background in control theory, optimal control, algorithms, and feedback systems.
- 2 – 5 years experience in controls development and/or system testing.
- Test and signal processing experience, HIL
- Strong experience with Matlab/Simulink and Python.
- Model predictive control experience
- Reinforcement Learning
- Computer vision
- Team Player
- Clear Communication
- Technical Capacity
- Strong Focus
- Attention to Detail
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer; applicants, employees, and former employees are protected from employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, and genetic information (including family medical history), or any other characteristic protected by law.
We offer growth opportunities for motivated professionals and a great compensation package including, dental insurance, medical insurance, unlimited vacation and sick time and more! Visit our website at ClearMotion.com to learn more!