Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What is a Sr. Machine Learning Engineering at Clearcover?
Clearcover is looking for an experienced software engineer or data engineer with machine learning experience. At Clearcover, a Sr. Machine Learning Engineer will focus on developing our platform, tools, processes, and frameworks that make it easier to develop, productionize, monitor, and update services that use machine learning.
Our Sr. Machine Learning Engineers own both technical and business problems. They are expected to own the process of defining the problem, implementing the solution, and measuring the business impact. A successful Sr. Machine Learning Engineer will have excellent technical skills, in addition to good judgment and communication skills necessary to collaborate across the company with other engineers and non-technical teams.
Current and upcoming projects that will have a major impact on the entire company include customer segmentation, churn prediction, fraud prevention, claims risk, and automated marketing solutions. The team is currently prototyping geospatial and NLP techniques to augment our resources for machine learning. Together, the team delivers high value models and tools that are taking our business decision making and customer acquisition techniques to the next level.
What will you do?
- Work across teams with stakeholders to understand, define, and plan for solutions to their business problems.
- Implement production-ready machine learning models.
- Understand policyholder characteristics and insurance product attributes as needed to improve model performance.
- Validate machine learning models via proper train/test techniques.
- Engineer workflows to deliver machine learning powered raw datasets to support data analysis.
- Build model feedback collection processes to enable model optimization and performance reporting.
- Use the scientific method to improve our models, relying on quantitative analysis and experimentation to ensure we’re moving in the right direction.
- Leverage the Python data stack for completing machine learning initiatives.
What do you need?
- Senior-level experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Data Engineer, or data-centric Software Engineer.
- Excellent all-around software development skill in Python.
- Proficiency in SQL for reporting, analysis, and data extraction.
- Significant experience with the Python data science and machine learning data stack, including scikit-learn, pandas, spark, dask, numpy and related libraries.
- Experience using cloud compute in AWS or a similar vendor (e.g. GCP, Azure)
- Ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with both technical and non-technical audiences.
Nice to haves?
- Interest in writing about technical solutions and contributing to open source projects.
- Experience with event streaming for use in Machine Learning workflows (Kafka, Kinesis).
- Experience writing API services with FastAPI or related framework.
- Experience automating cloud infrastructure provisioning via Terraform and/or Cloudformation.
- Experience developing machine learning models.
Did you know that women and minorities are less likely to apply to a position if they don’t match 100% of the job qualifications? Don’t let that be the reason you miss out on this opportunity! We encourage you to apply anyway. Don’t count yourself out!
But wait, there’s more:
As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums) and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.