Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest-growing startups in the insurtech space, and we’re currently looking to add more extraordinary people to our team.
What is a VP of Engineering at Clearcover?
We are seeking a VP of Engineering to take our technology and our team to the next level. The VP of Engineering is responsible for every aspect of our technology, from mobile apps to machine learning. We need someone who has the technical vision to pair with our product leadership to design and build products that our customers will love.
Clearcover has grown substantially in the past 12 months and continues to build momentum. As a result, we are looking for someone who has operated at scale and knows how to strategically build and lead great engineering teams. We are seeking someone who embraces change and highly values rapidly shipping code to production.
What will you do?
- Technical and Operational Execution
- You will be the primary technical owner of product delivery, working with our Leadership & Product teams to ensure timely, high-quality releases.
- Ensure technical architecture is positioned for scalability & is highly-secure.
- You will help us build a platform that scales to many more states and more insurance products.
- You will be responsible for rapidly shipping initiatives on time, on budget, and with incredibly high quality.
- You will work with Product leadership to ensure a highly productive and agile SDLC.
- Strategic Vision
- Setting a vision for how technology will be used to develop products for the company.
- Making executive decisions regarding the technical aspects of the company's products.
- Working with the Leadership & Product teams, you’ll be a key advisor on our product roadmap and defining the operational parameters of product initiatives.
- Work with cross-functional groups within the organization as a trusted advisor to improve the strategic use of technology around the organization.
- Team Management
- You’ll be responsible for building and the day-to-day management of the Engineering and Architecture teams.
- You’ll be responsible for the recruiting and hiring of our Technology team, identifying knowledge/experience gaps and finding cost-effective and innovative ways to fill them.
- You’ll be responsible for fostering and driving the evolution of our team culture, and mentoring and leading our Engineering Team.
- You’ll help us define quantitative and qualitative measurements to maximize delivery efficiency and developer satisfaction.
What do you need?
- 10+ years experience leading engineering teams and technical strategy
- A proven track record of delivering cloud native products to market.
- A passion for building products that customers will love.
- Be drawn to a fast-paced, fast-growing, fun startup.
- Build an effective organizational structure to improve scalability, accountability, speed, and output quality throughout our technology team
- Experience hiring technology talent, building teams, and implementing processes
- In-depth understanding of software development lifecycle: gathering requirements, analysis and architecture, design, development, release and version control, testing, deployment management
- Expert ability in implementing change within an organization, ensuring understanding, participation, and ownership.
- Highly advanced oral and written communication skills including presentation skills, demonstrating the ability to convey information in a way that is meaningful and well received by stakeholders and team members.
- Be able to communicate ideas with everyone from engineers to board members.
- Highly advanced ability to adapt new methods; work under tight deadlines and fast-moving conditions.
- Expert skills in managing multiple projects and/or sub-teams simultaneously
- Highly advanced ability to make timely and effective decisions and produce results through strategic planning and the implementation and evaluation of programs and policies.
- A keen ability to prioritize competing demands.
- A commitment to Extreme Ownership. You don't rest until the job is done and done right
- Experience in building cloud native software. Our tech stack includes AWS, kubernetes, and a polygot collection of services.
What's in it for you?
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- The ability to invest in your future and ours via a competitive equity package (i.e. massive upside potential)
- The ability to build and shape the entire technology organization of a rapidly growing, disruptive startup.
- The chance to change an industry