Classy is an online fundraising platform built for the most innovative and groundbreaking nonprofits in the world. Our goal is to not only help organizations raise more money online, but also help them interact and engage with supporters in creative ways they never deemed possible.
Classy is a VC-backed San Diego startup with triple-digit revenue growth and customer retention that beats the world’s top SaaS companies. We’re the market leader in peer-to- peer fundraising, and our products are used by thousands of social impact organizations, including Oxfam America, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and Heifer International.
Our team is growing, and we are hungry and hiring to meet the incredible demand of our clients.
Our culture is and will always be fun, exciting, and performance-driven. Our nonprofit clients deserve a technology solution—and a team— that can help them transform the online fundraising experience and change the world, and we’d love for you to be a part of it.
We’re looking for a data engineer who understands that the key to great analytics and machine learning is a clean, diverse dataset, and has experience building great datasets from challenging and varied sources:
- Accessing / querying a variety of data sources (relational databases, no-SQL databases, Salesforce, csvs, JSON APIs, web scraping).
- Filtering and transforming such data to dedupe records and clean the individual data fields.
- Cross-referencing data with public datasets or paid APIs, to augment the dataset.
- Ability to use AWS tools, such as Lambda (via serverless), Cloudformation, and Redshift.
You will work on a small, talented team of web developers, data analysts, and data scientists to help build the best dataset possible to guide our business and help guide our customers in online fundraising. With this dataset, we’ll aim to answer questions such as:
- What charities are most likely to succeed on our platform?
- What factors predict whether a fundraising campaign is successful?
- How do we identify top fundraising users as early as possible?
- Can we automatically score how good a user’s text and images are for fundraising?
- Much, much more!
You will have chances to leverage your existing skills while learning new ones, in a fast-paced startup environment. You will be among the first to work with our unique in-house dataset, to help discover new insights in how Classy can best support organizations and their supporters to do good in the world.
Who You Are:
- 2+ years of work experience in programming, data scraping, and data querying (preferably all three).
- Prefer individuals who have completed one or more self-led data science projects, from data aggregation to publishing text and visualizations (the more diverse the data sources, the better!).
- Great attitude
- Eagerness to learn
- Motivated self-starter
- Excellent communicator
Desirable traits also include:
- Using appropriate statistical / machine-learning methods to analyze the data
- Publishing insights (visualizations and text, internal presentations & blogging)
- Prototyping tools (via web programming) to expose these insights internally and/or externally (to non-profit organizations)
Our awesome perks!
Half-Day Fridays the first Friday of each month
Monthly parking pass, public transit pass, or Lyft Allowance
Pet friendly office
Monthly happy hours at the local watering hole
Love the active life? We have company and team outings and participate in team sports.