If you want to help make the world a better place, Classy's Product Technology team is hiring a Performance Engineer to join our Test Engineering team and play a key role in improving the performance of the entire software stack. Classy is looking for an experienced distributed application performance engineer that can assist development in support of a wide range of improvements to performance engineering processes. We are looking to ensure our systems are as user-friendly, secure and scalable as early in the SDLC as possible by creating a performance system that is part of the build/deploy process while increasing performance coverage across the stack. In addition, we would like to ensure that we can support platform growth in the year(s) to come.
If you are a great teammate that loves technology and has 5+ years experience building, maintaining and expanding the capabilities of a performance test system within an organization then we would love to hear from you.
Classy helps nonprofit organizations enhance their impact by creating exceptional giving experiences. Our best-in-class suite of online fundraising solutions help millions of people amplify their support for the causes they care about. As an independent subsidiary of GoFundMe, we create a global leader in modern giving across B2C and B2B, creating new opportunities to reach more people and organizations across the world. Since 2011, Classy has powered tens of millions of donations from over 190 countries and raised over $4 billion for social good.
What you’ll accomplish:
- Understand and expand our existing distributed performance testing system that uses K6, Gatling.io, Docker, AWS and Karate
- Help establish key performance metrics and expand our performance system to ensure our platform is highly available and scalable, maximises platform infrastructure with monitoring and alerting capabilities
- Understand and performance test the APIs, abstractions and integration patterns to solve challenging distributed system problems
- Build and run the entire Classy stack on your local development environment in order to deeply understand the stack and workflows
- Own the journey to mature Classy’s performance engineering processes by establishing automated processes and building performance testing into our build pipelines
- Develop and maintain multiple performance profiles based on the customer usage of the Classy platform and performance engineering best practices
- Work closely with product owners and dev and test leads to decompose stories, design features and prioritize tasks
- Identify technology and performance testing gaps/risks early and establish mitigation plans
- Develop and maintain performance scripts for the production and non-production environments
- Work with Dev Leads, Architects, and Developers across the organization to proactively monitor application performance and ensure new features align to application SLAs
- Complete assigned tasks by working with individuals and teams that are geographically dispersed
- Mentor junior team members and share your subject matter expertise across engineering
What you bring (Required):
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years solid experience building performance systems with Performance Testing tools like K6 and Gatling.io or other tools as long as you are willing to learn new tools/technologies
- 3-5 years of hands-on experience in creating performance test strategy, scripts and analysis to build highly available and scalable applications
- Previous experience working as a software engineer in a SaaS environment or large web application that included AWS
- Solid knowledge in hardware, software, and distributed applications environments and solid understanding of their associated capacity and performance indicators
- Knowledge of databases, distributed computing and high frequency transactions is a big plus
- Demonstrated understanding of software development and architecture with the ability to resolve root cause for issues, research - explore - recommend solutions, and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization about the technical problems and solutions
- Hands-on experience investigating and determining root cause using findings from logs and various AWS services
- Excellent skills in analyzing, troubleshooting, and resolving complex issues in automated script development
- Effective at learning new technologies and actively introducing advanced process improvements and test technologies
- Effective at understanding and communicating technical information; ability to translate to and from business language
- Experience with the Atlassian toolset (Jira, Bitbucket and Confluence)
- Some DevOps Experience (Plus for Docker, Kubernetes)
- Good knowledge of Agile and Scrum methodologies in software development
- Strong communication skills written and verbal
- Highly communicative team player with high level of customer empathy and sound judgment
What would be awesome to have (Preferred):
- Master's degree in Computer Science or an engineering discipline
- Good experience with development and testing using Performance testing tools
- Good experience with microservices development and testing
- 2+ years high volume Video Content Delivery Experience
- Nonprofit, online fundraising or payment processing experience
- Experience with deployment patterns that reduce risk, like Canary or Blue-Green
Our amazing perks!
- Market competitive pay
- Rich healthcare benefits including employer paid premiums for medical/dental/vision (100% for employee only plans and 85% for employee + dependent plans) and employer HSA contributions.
- 401(k) retirement plan with company matching
- Hybrid workplace with fully remote flexibility for many roles
- Monetary support for new hire setup, hybrid work & wellbeing, family planning, and commuting expenses
- A variety of mental and wellness programs to support employees
- Generous paid parental leave and family planning stipend
- Supportive time off policies including vacation, sick/mental health days, volunteer days, company holidays, and a floating holiday
- Learning & development and recognition programs
- Gives Back Program where employees can nominate a fundraiser every week for a donation from the company.
Dedication to Diversity
Classy is working toward building a more diverse and inclusive environment that is representative of individuals of all backgrounds, experiences, and lifestyles, allowing all employees to feel comfortable being their true, authentic selves in a space that enables productivity and meaningful work.