Classy's Product Technology team is hiring a Senior Software Engineer to design, build, and enhance the Classy Live event management platform, which powers virtual, hybrid and in-person events by providing tools around live streaming, auctions, accepting payment and an attendee mobile application. The ideal candidate will combine solid engineering expertise with product aptitude, is driven by exciting technical challenges that come with scale, and thrives in a fast-paced, iterative, and collaborative environment. We want to talk to you if you are unfazed by the idea of relentlessly refactoring and extending existing systems to make them more robust, maintainable, and scalable.
What you’ll accomplish:
- Contribute across the the Classy Live product suite, ranging from improving the usage of livestream / peer-to-peer technology to building a scalable web-socket layer to building conversational SMS interfaces that allow attendees to interact with an event (e.g. auctions, donations, signing up)
- Have a critical role in building and maintaining robust, fault-tolerant, backend service layers.
- Work with supervision from technical leaders in the Architecture team by driving research needs of a technical roadmap.
- Drive product development technical reviews of proposed technical design.
- Augment productivity of teams building new features on the platform by creating reusable components or patterns.
- Build and improve core integration between Classy Live and Classy platforms, with a focus on supporting a bi-directional flow of data
- Build reporting and monitoring tools to ensure the stability and security of the system.
- Within an Agile environment, work as part of a cross-functional Scrum team and develop web-based software solutions.
- Mentor engineers to become proficient developers using best software development practices and processes.
- Participate in an engineering culture of “always be learning” where the sharing and learning from failures is celebrated and the giving and receiving of constructive candid feedback is highly encouraged.
What you bring (Required):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years building highly scalable projects involving cloud-based infrastructure design and implementation.
- Good understanding of distributed data models with experience debugging distributed systems with high data loads.
- Ability to understand product requirements and translate them into technical subtasks.
- Experience with Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
- Strong experience writing performant SQL queries for relational and non-relational databases
- Proficiency in schema design in relational or NoSQL databases (PostgreSQL, MongoDB).
- Deep experience with code versioning tools (GIT/Bitbucket).
- A deep sense of quality, and sharp engineering skills with strong computer science fundamentals.
What would be awesome to have (Preferred):
- Refactoring in microservice patterns
- Experience with building industry standard APIs with large throughputs
- Experience building scalable queuing or workflow solutions
- Experience working with websockets
- Experience building integrations with bidirectional data flows
- Experience with live streaming technology such as AWS Elemental MediaLive, Vonage Video API, Twilio Video API or others
Our amazing perks!
- Unlimited/flexible paid time off (PTO)
- Generous company holiday schedule
- 10 company half-days annually
- 20 hours of paid volunteer time off/impact hours
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance, available day one
- Generous employer contribution towards Medical/Dental/Vision
- 401(k) plan and 3% employer match
- Generous parental leave benefits
- Paid sabbatical leave for every 4 years at Classy
- Access to virtual wellbeing apps like Headspace and Ginger
- Variety of employee discounts (including gym membership and bar/restaurant discounts)
- Professional development and learning stipends
- Work from home stipend while working remote due to COVID-19
- Downtown office with views of Petco Park and the ocean (and dog friendly!)
- Monthly parking pass, public transit pass or rideshare allowance when commuting to the office
Classy is a B Corp Certified social enterprise that helps nonprofit organizations maximize their impact through a suite of world-class, online fundraising tools to accelerate social impact around the world. Based in San Diego, CA and trusted by organizations of all sizes, from the fastest-growing nonprofits like Team Rubicon and The Trevor Project, to some of the world's largest social organizations, such as The Salvation Army, Robin Hood Foundation, and Shriners Hospitals for Children, nonprofits use Classy’s platform to raise money, engage their communities, and advance their missions. Since 2011, Classy has powered tens of millions of donations from over 190 countries and raised over $2 billion for social good. Classy also hosts the Collaborative conference and the Classy Awards to spotlight the innovative work nonprofits are implementing around the globe. For more information, visit www.classy.org or follow Classy on Twitter @Classy.
Dedication to Diversity
Classy is working toward building a more diverse and inclusive environment that is representative of individuals of all backgrounds, experiences, and lifestyles, allowing all employees to feel comfortable being their true, authentic selves in a space that enables productivity and meaningful work.